Rakes sentence example
- Two other sons, Rocco and Cristoforo, both of them notorious rakes, were killed in brawls.
- Great improvements have been made in the means of feeding the mills with canes by doing away with hand labour and substituting mechanical feeders or rakes, which by means of a simple steam-driven mechanism will rake the canes from the cane waggons on to the cane-carriers.
- The work, he says, is the "production of a decided partisan," who "rakes in the ashes of long-forgotten and a thousand times buried slanders, 1 Lord Brougham, overlooking the constitutional chapter in the Middle Ages, censured Hallam for making an arbitrary beginning at this point, and proposed to write a more complete history himself.
- The M`Dougall furnace is turret-shaped, and consists of a series of circular hearths, on which the ore is agitated by rakes attached to revolving arms and made to fall from hearth to hearth.
- The shaft is provided with sockets, into which movable arms with their rakes are readily dropped.Advertisement
- In some the rakes are attached to rigid frames, with a reciprocating motion, in others to cross-bars moved by revolving chains.
- The M`Dougall-Herreshoff, working on ores of over 30% of sulphur, requires no fuel; but in furnaces of the reverberatory type fuel must be used, as an excess of air enters through the slotted sides and the hinged doors which open and shut frequently to permit of the passage of the rakes.
- The oyster fisheries give employment to over 56,000 fishermen, who man 4000 vessels, valued at $4,000,000, and 23,000 boats, valued at $1,470,000; the value of the 1 i,000 dredges and 37,000 tongs, rakes and other appliances used is $365,000.
- Early in life Richard Savage acquired notoriety by his dare-devilry and dissipation, and he was, too, one of the most conspicuous rakes in the society of the period.
- Formerly it was the practice to carry out such operations entirely by hand, men charging the retorts either by means of shovel or hand-scoop, and the coke produced being withdrawn with hand rakes.Advertisement
- Both Kuragin and Dolokhov were at that time notorious among the rakes and scapegraces of Petersburg.
- There was a special bogie to couple onto the loco forming rakes of wagons hurtling across the countryside.
- Scarify with rakes to maintain an open sward to allow the germination of seedlings.
- Leonardo DiCaprio: He's not known for summer blockbusters but DiCaprio can still pull viewers into theaters, which is why the star of Titanic rakes in $20 million for each of his roles.
- Peg boards mount onto the walls of the garage, while repositionable hooks can hang clippers, rakes, wrenches and hammers, keeping them well organized while taking up hardly any room at all.Advertisement
- Total tool investment can be $200-$400 for a lawn mower, leaf blower, rakes, trash cans, plastic bags, brooms and other yard tools.
- Of this operation, and of the forks and rakes and the haymaking there is a very good account.