Raison-d-etre sentence example
- The portage between the two oceans was of great commercial importance, especially in the 16th century, when treasure from Peru (and treasure was the raison d'etre of the Spanish settlements in Panama) was carried across the isthmus from Panama City.
- But with lists and tables widely available, their raison d'etre is undermined when not as accurate as possible.
- He indulged in a great deal of speculation as to the existence of an extra-spatial unit, which was to furnish the raison d'etre of the numerical part, and render the quaternion homogeneous as well as linear.
- The first novel deals with the machinations and subterfuge with which the First Foundation is formed, and its early history, through its discovery that the Encyclopedia is not its raison d'etre and the dwindling power of the Empire.
- Its raison d'etre undertaken by the public sector.' Voluntary and community groups need to take control of civil renewal because it is rightly theirs.Advertisement
- If this dream or prejudice be exploded, then the scepticism originating in it - and a large proportion of recent sceptical thought does so originate - loses its raison d'etre.