Raffles sentence example
- The latter is a diary of events kept during Sir Stamford Raffles' administration by his Malay scribe.
- Lord Minto had issued a proclamation establishing British rule on the 11th of September, and Thomas (afterwards Sir Thomas) Stamford Raffles was appointedlieutenant-governor.
- Raffles (q.v.) held office until March 1816, and introduced many important changes in the departments of revenue, commerce and judicature.
- The pigtail ape (Macacus nemestrinus) - as Raffles described it in his " Descriptive Catalogue of a Zoological Collection made in Sumatra," Trans.
- When it was first occupied by Sir Stanford Raffles, on behalf of the East India Company, the island was covered by jungle, but now all the land not reserved by government has been taken up, principally by Chinese, who plant vegetables in large quantities, indigo and other tropical products.Advertisement
- It is said to have been attacked and devastated by the Javanese in 1252, and at the time when it passed by treaty to the East India Company in 1819, Sir Stamford Raffles persuading the sultan and tumenggong of Johor to cede it to him, it was wholly uninhabited save by a few fisherfolk living along its shores.
- See Life of Sir Stamford Raffles; Logan's Journal of the Malay Archipelago; the Journal of the Straits Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society (Singapore); Sir Frank Swettenham, British Malaya (London, 1906); Blue-Book of the Straits Settlements (1906); The Straits Directory, 1908 (Singapore, 1908).
- During the occupation of Java by the British an embassy was despatched to Sir Stamford Raffles by the sultan of Banjermasin asking for assistance, and in 1811 Alexander Hare was despatched thither as commissioner and resident.
- We also hope to promote more gigs and buy new equipment funded in part by our weekly raffles.
- There were Raffles outside Church, we ran sweepstakes.Advertisement
- The Gold Cup - Raffles resolves to prove to everyone that he is not the notorious jewel thief.
- Raffles and Contests: Scrapbooking and stamping contests may be held in addition to door prize or ticket-purchase raffle drawings.
- Raffles usually consist of a prize or a sum of money offered in a lottery, which is contingent upon a group of people buying raffle tickets.
- Students who are holding raffles or fundraisers also rely on these bags to help get the word out efficiently and to a select group of people.