Racemose sentence example
- Bulbous plants with a terminal racemose inflorescence; the anthers open introrsely and the capsule is loculicidal.
- Every variety of racemose and paniculate inflorescence obtains, and the number of spikelets composing those of the large kinds is often immense.
- Thus we may have a group of racemes, arranged in a racemose manner on a common axis, forming a raceme of racemes or compound raceme, as in Astilbe.
- Again, there may be a raceme of capitula, that is, a group of capitula disposed in a racemose manner, as in Petasites, a raceme of umbels, as in ivy, and so on, all the forms of inflorescence being indefinite in disposition.
- In such cases the cymes are described as spiked, racemose, or panicled, according to circumstances.Advertisement
- In the bell-flower (Campanula) there is a racemose uniparous cyme.
- In the privet (Ligustrum vulgare) there are numerous racemes of dichasia arranged in a racemose manner along an axis; the whole inflorescence thus has an appearance not unlike a bunch of grapes, and has been called a thyrsus.
- (After Allman.) logy as the monopodial or racemose, and the sympodial or cymose types respectively; each is characteristic of one of the two sub-orders of the Hydroidea, the Gymnoblastea and Calyptoblastea.