Quintic sentence example
- Now, when C = o, clearly (see ante) R 2 j = 6 2 p where p = S +2 B a; and Gordan then proves the relation 6R 4 .f = B65Ã¯¿½5B64p - 4A2p5, which is Bring's form of quintic at which we can always arrive, by linear transformation, whenever the invariant C vanishes.
- Certain convariants of the quintic involve the same determinant factors as appeared in the system of the quartic; these are f, H, i, T and j, and are of special importance.
- Hermite expresses the quintic in a forme-type in which the constants are invariants and the variables linear covariants.
- Sylvester showed that the quintic might, in general, be expressed as the sum of three fifth powers, viz.
- His first notable work was a proof of the impossibility of solving the quintic equation by radicals.Advertisement