Quieting sentence example
- He spoke, his voice quieting until Vara had to draw nearer.
- The battles inside and outside the walls raged throughout the night, quieting only at dawn, when sunlight illuminated the destruction.
- On this tour he visited Japan, and on the 2nd of October, at Tokyo, made a speech which had an important effect in quieting the apprehensions of the Japanese on the score of the treatment of their people on the Pacific coast.
- Once arrived she gave herself heartily to Urban's cause, and wore her slender powers out in restraining his impatient temper, quieting the revolt of the people of Rome, and trying to win for Urban the support of Europe.
- Luther succeeded in quieting the people both in Wittenberg and the neighbouring towns, and in preventing the excesses which had threatened to discredit the whole movement.Advertisement
- Loubet doubtless had some effect in quieting public feeling.
- The quieting effect that this drastic action might have had was marred by the fact that certain members of the British parliament called in question the justice of the sentencespassed unanimously by a court of which the best English and the best native judge were members.
- The release of the Denshawai prisoners in January 1908 and the death of Mustafa Kamel in the following month had a quieting effect on the public mind; while the fact that in the elections (December 1907) for the legislative council and the general assembly only 5% of the electors went to the polls, afforded a striking commentary alike on the appreciation of the average Egyptian of the value of parliamentafy institutions and of the claims of the Nationalist members of the assembly to represent the Egyptian people.
- Evidences of the change were numerous: Innocent promoted pro-Spanish cardinals; attacked the Barberini, proteges of Mazarin, and sequestered their possessions; aided in quieting an insurrection in Naples, fomented by the duke of Guise; and refused to recognize the independence of Portugal, then at war with Spain.
- The tang of the untainted, fresh and free sea air was like a cool, quieting thought, and the shells and pebbles and the seaweed with tiny living creatures attached to it never lost their fascination for me.Advertisement
- Most practices focus on quieting or stilling the mind and learning to read sixth sense signals from your body and mind.
- People in tune with their intuitive abilities find that regularly quieting and stilling the mind's chatter enables them to tune into the often subtle and quiet signals from the sixth sense.
- In fact, many proponents of meditation cite increased awareness, idea generation, better problem-solving ability and less stress as some of the benefits to quieting the mind.
- It is believed Topamax acts by quieting the impulse centers of the brain.
- He also helped her in quieting Ferdinand, who was chafing under the privileges of the Castilian grandees, and succeeded so well that the king also took him as confessor.Advertisement