Querns sentence example
- Such implements as have survived are of the rudest description, and include querns or stone handmills for grinding corn, stone worts and bone combs employed in primitive forms of woollen manufacture, and specimens of simple pottery ware.
- In other cases, however, these were on a larger scale, provided with numerous querns or hand-mills of the well-known form, evidently intended for public supply.
- Rice is hulled and grain coarsely ground in stone querns or by water pestles.
- Topics will include rotary querns from North Africa, deposition of querns in South West England, and ground stone tools from Greece.
- High quality millstones called querns were quarried for use in watermills.Advertisement
- He could see the women busily grinding the days corn in the heavy granite querns.
- The Anglian material The querns Sixty-one lavastone quern fragments were recovered from Period 3 pits and residually in a range of later features.
- High in the moorland to the right, saddle querns once used for grinding grain have been found recently.
- For better quality breads the Romans imported lava querns from Germany.
- Rotary querns have a circular upper stone that was rotated on a base stone, with the corn ground between the two.Advertisement
- Hand querns The Mill has a set of hand querns for groups of children to experiment with grinding flour by hand.