Quatrefoils sentence example
- Among the finest examples of this sort of work are the screens round the tombs of the Scala family at Verona, 1 35 0 - 1 375, - a sort of network of light cusped quatrefoils, each filled up with a small ladder (scala) in allusion to the name of the family.
- The arches are sometimes cusped; circles with trefoils, quatrefoils, &c., are introduced into the tracery, and large rose windows in the transept or nave, as at Lincoln (1220).
- Two partly blocked C14 chancel windows remain with carved quatrefoils in blank frieze on jambs and fragments of tracery.
- A big roundel window containing four quatrefoils in concrete.
- The clerestory has single lancets except at the eastern ends where there are large quatrefoils.Advertisement
- The main part of most of these screens is filled in with quatrefoils, and at the top is an open frieze formed of plate iron pierced, repousse, and enriched with engraving.