Quadrature-of-the-circle sentence example
- The intercept on the axis of y is 2a/7r; therefore, if it were possible to accurately construct the curve, the quadrature of the circle would be effected.
- His chief works are: Astronomical History of Observations of Heavenly Motions and Appearances (1634); Ecliptica prognostica (1634); Controversy with Longomontanus concerning the Quadrature of the Circle (1646?); An Idea of the Mathematics, 12m0 (1650); A Table of Ten Thousand Square Numbers (fol.; 1672).
- 5 For minute and lengthy details regarding the quadrature of the circle in the Low Countries, see de Haan, " Bouwstoffen voor de geschiedenis, &c.," in Versl.
- Montucla, successful attempt to show that quadrature of the circle by a Euclidean construction was impossible.'
- quadrature of the circle.Advertisement
- He attempted the quadrature of the circle by interpolation, and arrived at the remarkable expression known as Wallis's Theorem (see Circle, Squaring Of).
- Rectification and quadrature of the circle have thus been, since the time of Archimedes at least, practically identical problems. Again, since the circumferences of circles are proportional to their diameters - a proposition assumed to be true from the dawn almost of practical geometry - the rectification of the circle is seen to be transformable into finding the ratio of the circumference to the diameter.
- He is described as the first to treat theology on mathematical principles and he also wrote on the quadrature of the circle.