Public-library sentence example
At Martha's suggestion over coffee the next morning we decided on the public library in nearby Lynn as our destination.
His chief benefaction, however, was a bequest of $400,000 for the foundation and endowment of a public library in New York City, since known as the Astor library, and since 1895 part of the New York public library.
There are several fine public buildings, as the governor's palace, the new opera-house, the public library and museum of Maltese antiquities, and the auberges or lodges of the Knights of Malta (especially the Auberge de Castile) which are now used for military offices, club-rooms, and other purposes.
Among the public buildings are the Federal building, the city hall and the public library.
Among the public buildings are the city hall, the court house, the Federal building, the public library and an auditorium.Advertisement
Court formed the design of writing a history of Protestantism, and made large collections for the purpose, which have been preserved in the Public Library of Geneva; but this he did not live to carry out.
Opposite the cathedral is the government palace, which also contains the public library.
The Lithgow library is a city public library.
The city has a public library (1905), and is the seat of an Institute of Telegraphy (founded in 1874; chartered in 1900) and of Valparaiso University (1873; formerly known as the Valparaiso Normal Training School).
Besides the university library, there is the Ohio state library occupying a room in the capitol and containing in 1908 126,000 volumes, including a "travelling library" of about 36,000 volumes, from which various organizations in different parts of the state may borrow books; the law library of the supreme court of Ohio, containing complete sets of English, Scottish, Irish, Canadian, United States and state reports, statutes and digests; the public school library of about 68,000 volumes, and the public library (of about 55,000), which is housed in a marble and granite building completed in 1906.Advertisement
The Public Library building is Romanesque and elaborately ornamented; the building was presented to the city by James P. Baxter; in the library is the statue, by Benjamin Paul Akers (1825-1861), of the dead pearl-diver, well known from Hawthorne's description in The Marble Faun.
The chief manufactures are paper and wire, and from the quarries near the village of Lee is obtained an excellent quality of marble; these quarries furnished the marble for the extension of the Capitol at Washington, for St Patrick's cathedral in New York City and for the Lee High School and the Lee Public Library (1908).
Other noteworthy buildings are the Federal building (containing post-office, custom-house and Federal court-rooms; erected at a cost of $3,000,000); Tomlinson Hall, capable of seating 3000 persons, given to the city by Daniel Tomlinson; the Propylaeum, a club-house for women; the Commercial club; Das Deutsche Haus, belonging to a German social club; the Maennerchor club-house; the Union railway station; the traction terminal building; the city hall, and the public library.
The town has a public library and some old houses built in the colonial period, and is the seat of Phillips Exeter Academy (incorporated in 1781 and opened in 1783).
It has a fine Federal building, one of the best high-school buildings in Wisconsin, the Vaughn public library (1895), a Roman Catholic hospital, and the Rinehart hospital, and is the seat of the Northland College and Academy (Congregational).Advertisement
In Portsmouth are an Athenaeum (1817), with a valuable library; a public library (1881); a city hall; a county court house; a United States customs-house; a soldiers' and sailors' monument; an equestrian t Island 'Portsmouth ' ?Cd'i .9?-?.
From 1847 to 1851 he arranged gifts from France to American libraries aggregating 30,655 volumes, and a gift of 50 volumes by the city of Paris in 1843 (reciprocated in 1849 with more than 1000 volumes contributed by private citizens) was the nucleus of the Boston public library.
Besides the University Library, there are a Public Library (1887), containing about 80,000 vols., the library of the Young Men's Institute (1826) and the collection of the New Haven Colony Historical Society.
The principal public buildings are the Federal building, the court house, an auditorium seating 7000, a Union Station and a public library.
The public library (1878) had 12,000 volumes in 1910.Advertisement
Streator has a public library and a Chautauqua auditorium.
Prominent among its buildings are the federal building, the auditorium, the public library and the Masonic library, which contains one of the best collections of Masonic literature in the world.
The city has a public library containing (1907) 107,600 volumes and an historical museum.
West Hartlepool, a wholly modern town, has several handsome modern churches, municipal buildings, exchange, market hall, Athenaeum and public library.
Lancaster has a public library and a children's home; and 6 m.Advertisement
Other prominent buildings are the Supreme Court building, the county court house (the old state capitol, finished in 18J3), the city-hall, the state arsenal, the high school and the public library.
There is a public library.
In Havana, also, there is a school of painting and sculpture, a school of arts and trades, and a national library, all of which are supported or subventioned by the national government, as are also a public library in Matanzas, and the Agricultural Experiment Station at Santiago de las Vegas.
From the same century dates the octagonal building which, formerly a gaol, now contains a good public library.
The public library and museum were founded in 1863, but in 1882 were removed to a new building which was enlarged in 1896.Advertisement
The state law library here is one of the best of the kind in the country, and the city has a public library.
Dover has a fine city hall of red brick and freestone; a public library containing (1907) 34,000 volumes; the Wentworth hospital; the Wentworth home for the aged; a children's and an orphans' home.
The city has several public parks, a public library and various charitable institutions, among which are a children's home, a home for aged men, a home fort aged women and a deaconesses' home.
Among the principal public buildings are the Whittemore Memorial Public Library (1892), a fine high school and the large Salem school (part of the public school system), all given to the borough by John Howard Whittemore of Naugatuck, who in addition endowed the library and the high school.
It is the seat of the state normal school (1876), and has a public library.Advertisement
The city has a fine court-house (1904), a federal building (1908), a city hall (1908) and a public library.
Sydney has a great number of learned, educational and charitable institutions; it possesses a Royal Society, a Linnean Society and a Geographical Society, a women's college affiliated to the university, an astronomical observatory, a technical college, a school of art with library attached, a bacteriological institute at Rose Bay, a museum and a free public library.
It has a public library.
Among institutions may be mentioned the grammar school, founded in 1674, the public library and museum, and a number of hospitals and sanatoria.
Hannibal has a good public library (1889; the first in Missouri); other prominent buildings are the Federal building, the court house, a city hospital and the high school.Advertisement
The city has a public library.
In Easthampton are a free public library and Williston Seminary; the latter, one of the oldest and largest preparatory schools in New England, was founded in 1841 by the gifts of Samuel Williston (1795-1874) and Emily Graves Williston (1797-1885).
Northfield has a public library and the Minnesota Odd Fellows' Widows and Orphans Asylum.
There are two libraries; one founded in 1836, and now a public library in the Atheneum building; and the other in what is now the School of Industrial and Manual Training (1904), founded in 1827 as a Lancasterian school by Admiral Sir Isaac Coffin (1759-1839), whose ancestors were Nantucket people.
It has a public library and a technical railway school; also cotton-cleaning works, tanneries, brick-works, and a mineral-water factory.Advertisement
Adrian has a public library.
Among the more prominent buildings are the court-house - the portion first erected being designed after the Parthenon - the Steele high school, St Mary's college, Notre Dame academy, the Memorial Building, the Arcade Building, Reibold Building, the Algonquin Hotel, the post office, the public library (containing about 75,000 volumes), the Young Men's Christian Association building and several churches.
Among its institutions are the Aldrich public library and Goddard Seminary (1870; Universalist).
It has a public library in which a small museum is maintained by the Firelands Historical Society.
It has a public library and the Freeborn County Court House, and is the seat of Albert Lea College (Presbyterian, for women), founded in 1884, and of Luther Academy (Norwegian Evangelical Lutheran), founded in 1888.Advertisement
There is a public library (1878).
In Derby there are an opera house, owned by the city, and a public library.
The Jervis Public Library (1895), founded by John Bloomfield Jervis (1795-1885), a famous railway engineer, had in 1909 about 15,000 volumes.
Returning to Wurttemberg in 1828, he first undertook the duties of repetent or theological tutor in Tubingen, and afterwards accepted a curacy in Stuttgart; but having in 1830 received an appointment in the royal public library at Stuttgart, he thenceforth gave himself exclusively to literature and historical science.
The city has a public library and a public park, and there is a U.S. Land Office here..
The public library contains 40,000 volumes, including an extensive collection of works relating to the history of Lorraine.
The chief building in Des Moines is the State Capitol, erected at a cost of about $3,000,000; other important buildings are the public library (containing, in 1908, 40,415 volumes), the court house, the post office, the Iowa State Historical building, a large auditorium and two hospitals.
Of his fortune (estimated at $5,000,000) approximately $4,000,000 was bequeathed for the establishment and maintenance of "a free public library and reading-room in the City of New York"; but, as the will was successfully contested by relatives, only about $2,000,000 of the bequest was applied to its original purpose; in 1895 the Tilden Trust was combined with the Astor and Lenox libraries to form the New York Public Library.
A marble bust of him stands in the public library and his portrait hangs in the Marischal College.
Among the important buildings are the Federal Building, the County Court House, the City Hall, a County Hall of Records, the Public Library with about 110,000 volumes in 1908, the large Auditorium and office buildings and the Woman's Club.
The ecclesiastical seminary contains an important library with a collection of manuscripts, and there is a public library in the Carmelite chapel, a building of the 17th century.
The population is largely concentrated in and about the village which bears the name of the township. In Attleborough are the Attleborough Home Sanitarium, and a public library (1885).
The borough has a public library (1881), a Masonic Home, the Gaylord Farm Sanatorium of the New Haven County Anti-Tuberculosis Association, the Phelps School (for girls) and the Choate School (1896, for boys).
Hayes, is of interest, and the city has a public library (1873) and parks, in large measure the gifts of his uncle, Sardis Birchard.
The city has a Protestant Episcopal cathedral, the Grafton Hall school for girls, and St Agnes hospital and convent, and a public library with about 25,000 volumes in 1908.
The public library and museum, on the north side of Grand Avenue, in addition to an excellent collection of natural history, palaeontology, &c., contained in 1909 a library of about 190,000 volumes.
It is the seat of the Montana Wesleyan University (Methodist Episcopal), founded in 1890; St Aloysius College and St Vincent's Academy (Roman Catholic); and has a public library with about 35,000 volumes, the Montana state library with about 40,000 volumes, and the state law library with about 24,000 volumes.
There is a fine public library building given by Andrew Carnegie.
The Public Library (opened in 1889) contained about 160,000 volumes in 1910, and the library of the New Jersey Historical Society about 26,000 books, about 27,000 pamphlets and many manuscripts; the Prudential Insurance Company has a law library of about 20,000 volumes; and the Essex County Lawyers' Club has one of 5000 volumes or more.
Among the city's prominent buildings are the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western station, the Hoboken Academy (1860), founded by German Americans, and the public library.
The public library is in the university buildings and contains many valuable MSS.
It has a Carnegie library (a branch of the public library of Cincinnati) and a Catholic maternity hospital.
He collected a splendid library of about 300,000 volumes and 15,000 manuscripts, which he bequeathed to the Polish nation; but it was afterwards carried off to St Petersburg, where it formed the foundation of the imperial public library.
In this group of buildings are the Hartford public library (containing 90,000 volumes in 1908), the Watkinson library of reference (70,000 volumes in 1908), the library of the Connecticut historical society (25,000 volumes in 1908) and a public art gallery.
The public library is generously endowed, and in 1908 had about 90,000 volumes.
In the 1 1th century a similar task was undertaken by Lanfranc, archbishop of Canterbury (1069-1089); in the 12th century by Stephen Harding (1109), third abbot of Citeaux, and by Cardinal Nicolaus Maniacoria (1150), whose corrected Bible is preserved in the public library at Dijon.
The city has a public library (housed in the city hall) and eight parks (including Riverside on the Big Sioux), with a total area of more than 500 acres.
In Swanston Street there is a large building where under one roof are found the public library of over ioo,000 volumes, the museum of sculpture, the art gallery, and the museums of ethnology and technology.
St Joseph has a public library.
De Pere is the seat of St Norbert's college (Roman Catholic, 1902) and has a public library.
Reus has excellent primary, normal and highergrade state schools, many private schools, an academy of fine arts and a public library.
Among the public buildings and institutions are the Marine Museum, the Public Library (founded in 1854 by Josiah Little and containing about 45,000 volumes), the old Tracy mansion (built in 1771 or 1772), which forms part of the Public Library building, the Anna Jacques and Homoeopathic hospitals, homes for aged women and men, a Home for Destitute Children, Old South Church, in which is the tomb of George Whitefield, and the Young Men's Christian Association building, which is a memorial to George Henry Corliss (1817-1888), the inventor, erected by his widow, a native of Newburyport.
Among the public buildings are the Federal Building, the Onondaga county courthouse, costing $1,50o,000 and containing a law library of 15,000 vols., the city-hall, the Central high school, a fine building erected at a cost of $400,000, the North high school ($30o,000), and the public library (Carnegie) with 60,000 volumes in 1908 and housing the Museum of Fine Arts (1897), also.
Other important edifices and institutions are the university, with its schools of law and medicine, the mint, built in 1811, the modern national college and high schools, a public library of over 28,000 volumes, an episcopal seminary, an academy of fine arts, the Teatro Degollado, and the large modern granite building of the penitentiary.
Grant Lodge, an old mansion of the Grant family, occupying the south-west corner of the park, was converted into the public library.
Among its public buildings and institutions are a fine public library (1872) with 80,000 volumes in 1908, the city hall, a state armoury, Somerville Hospital, the city poor house, a Roman Catholic home for the aged, and two high schools (English and classical).
The John McIntire public library (about 20,000 volumes) is a consolidation of the Zanesville Athenaeum (1827) and the Eunice Buckingham library of the former Putnam Female Seminary (1835) here; Andrew Carnegie contributed $50,000 for the erection of the building.
It was thrown open to foreign commerce, foreign mercantile houses were permitted to settle there, printing was introduced, industrial restrictions were removed, and a college of medicine, a military academy and a public library were founded.
The most noteworthy public buildings are the Cathedral (Porto Alegre being the see of a Roman Catholic bishop), the handsome church of Nossa Senhora das Dores, the municipal palace, school of engineering, government palace, legislative halls, school of medicine, athenaeum, normal school and public library and military barracks.
The Buffalo Society of Natural Sciences has a museum in the public library building.
The Japanese palace contains a public library of more than 400,000 volumes, with about 3000 MSS.
The territorial legislature of 1907 established the College of Agriculture and Mechanic Arts of the Territory of Hawaii, and also founded a public library.
Lock Haven is the seat of the Central State Normal School (opened 1877), and has a public library and a hospital.
The city has a public library and four large parks; in Court House Square there is a monument erected by popular subscription in honour of the soldiers from Kankakee county who died in the Civil War.
In Vincennes are a Roman Catholic cathedral, erected in 1835, one of the oldest in the West, occupying the site of a church built early in the 18th century; Vincennes University (1806), the oldest educational institution in the state, which in 1910 had 14 instructors and 236 students; St Rose Female Academy, and a public library.
In 1823 a fund was raised on his behalf, and he was sent to board with the clerk of the guardians, having his time at his own disposal, and the privilege of making use of a public library.
Among modern public buildings the principal are St Ninian's Episcopal Cathedral, in the Early Middle Pointed style, an important example (completed 1890) of the work of William Butterfield (1814-1900); the municipal buildings (1881); the city-hall; the Marshall Memorial Hall (1823), housing the public library and the museum of the Perth Literary and Antiquarian Society; the Perthshire natural history museum; the Sandeman public library (1898), founded by a bequest of Professor Sandeman of Owens College, Manchester.
There are some remains (including a portion in the square, now used as a public library established in 1799) of the magnificent abbey of St Mary and St Rumon, founded in 961 by Orgar, earl of Devon.
Noteworthy public buildings are the County Court-house, the Public Library (about 85,000 volumes in 1910), the Soldiers' Memorial Building, the Toledo Club and the Toledo Museum of Art (1901).
The city has a public library and a soldiers' monument.
The Fletcher free public library (47,000 volumes in 1908) is housed in a Carnegie building.
The city is the seat of the state Institute for the Blind (1875), and has three public parks and a public library.
The public buildings include the church of Sao Francisco, dating from the early part of the 19th century, the municipal hall, a fine theatre, the Misericordia hospital, a public library containing about 25,000 volumes and a great central market.
The city has a public library (1865), and is the seat of St John's School and the Academy of Our Lady of Lourdes (both Roman Catholic), of a state hospital for the insane (1878), originally planned (1877) as an inebriate asylum, liquor dealers being taxed for its erection, and of St Mary's Hospital (1889), a famous institution founded and maintained by the Sisters of St Francis.
It has several beautiful parks, two hospitals, a number of fine churches and school buildings, and a public library.
The city has a public library and a library owned by the Ladies' Library Association, and is the seat of the Northern Michigan Asylum for the Insane (opened 1885).
It has a public library and a botanic garden.
The principal public buildings are the court-house (in a small public park), the public library and a high school.
His collections of original materials were vast; beginning with his residence in England, he brought together at enormous pains and expense the authenticated copies of archives, family papers, and personal journals written by historic personages, which now constitute an invaluable treasure in the New York public library.
Among Valencia's public edifices and institutions are some good churches, the government palace, a university, a national college for women, a normal school for men and a public library.
Among its institutions is the John Tyler Library, established as Salem Library in 180 4 and said to be the third oldest public library in the state.
The city has a public park and a public library.
The public library building (1888) was given to the city by the heirs of Captain John Bertram.
Among the public buildings are the state capitol, the post office building, the county court house, the city hall, the second regiment armoury, public library (containing about 42,000 volumes in 1909), and the building (1910) given by Henry C. Kelsey to the city for the school of industrial arts (founded in 1898).
The town-hall, public library and mechanic's institute are noteworthy buildings.
The Public Library with walls of white limestone and Texas granite, contained (1908) 95,000 volumes.
In 1908 the State Library (founded 1841) contained 39,000 volumes, the Supreme Court Library (founded 1870) about 17,000 volumes and the Olivia Raney public library (founded 1901) 9250 volumes.
Tashkent has a public library containing a valuable collection of works on Central Asia, an astronomical observatory and a museum.
South Orange has a public library and a town hall, and is the seat of Seton Hall College (Roman Catholic), named in honour of Mother Elizabeth Seton, founded at Madison, N.J., in 1856, and removed to South Orange in 1860.
In the village of Grafton there is a public library.
Besides these there is a fever hospital, erected by Lord John George Beresford; a college, which Primate Robinson was anxious to raise to the rank of a university; a public library founded by him, an observatory, which has become famous from the efficiency of its astronomers; a number of churches and schools, and barracks.
There is a free public library.
In the public square is a soldiers' monument, and the city has a public library and a park.
Among the public buildings are the county court house and the public library.
The city has a small public library.
The principal buildings are the church of St Hilda, with a picturesque old tower; the town hall in the market-place, exchange, customhouse, mercantile marine offices, public library and museum, grammar school, marine school, master-mariners' asylum and seamen's institute.
Among its notable public buildings and institutions are the old government palace in Santo Antonio built upon the foundations of the official residence of Prince Maurice of Nassau, with a pretty garden attached; a theatre facing upon the Praga da Republica, dating from the second empire; the palace of the Provincial Assembly in Boa Vista, built in 1860-66, surmounted by a high dome; the municipal palace, or prefecture, on Rua do Imperador, with the public library (Biblioteca Publica) occupying its third floor and containing about 30,000 volumes; the Gymnasium, a large plain building of two floors standing near the legislative palace; the Pedro II.
It is the seat of a State Normal Training School, and has a public library and Dunham Hall Library (1878).
Among the buildings are the United States custom house, the city hall, a convent, and a public library.
The national museum (founded in 1830) and public library (founded 1833) are in one wing of the Solis theatre.
The public library was the gift of Augustine Heard.
Larger villages are Westerly, in the western part of the township and at the head of navigation (for small vessels) on the Pawcatuck river, and Niantic, in the northeastern part of the township. In Westerly there is a public library (1894), with 23,323 volumes in 1909.
On North Terrace are the houses of parliament, and the institute, containing a public library and museum.
Medellin, the foundation of which dates from 1674, stands in the valley of the Porce, a tributary of the Cauca, and is reputed to be one of the healthiest as well as one of the most attractive cities of the republic. It has a university, national college, school of mines and other educational institutions, assaying and refining laboratories, a public library and a mint.
The interest which Bogota has always taken in education, and because of which she has been called the "Athens of South America," is shown in the number and character of her institutions of learning - a university, three endowed colleges, a school of chemistry and mineralogy, a national academy, a military school, a public library with some 50,000 volumes, a national observatory, a natural history museum and a botanic garden.
The chief building within the town is the Watford Public Library and School of Art.
Pachuca has some fine modern edifices, among which are the palace of justice, a scientific and literary institute, a school of mines and metallurgy, founded in 1877, a meteorological observatory and a public library.
The principal public buildings are the Royal Albert Edward Infirmary and Dispensary, the public hall, the borough courts and offices, the arcade, the market hall, the free public library and the county courts and offices (1888).
Among the public buildings much the handsomest are the court house, built of Warrensburg blue sandstone (1884), and the Public Library (1900), given by Andrew Carnegie.
Other libraries in the city include the state law library (45,0eo volumes) in the capitol, the Madison public library (22,500 volumes), and the Woodman astronomical library (7500 volumes).
The Madison public library houses also the state library school maintained by the Wisconsin library commission.
The principal public buildings include the court house and the city hall, and there are a public library (housed in the city hall) and a children's home.
Among the principal buildings are a Franciscan convent, with a rich library and an interesting collection of antiquities and ecclesiastical objects; a Piarist and a Minorite convent; a handsome new town-hall; and a natural history and historical museum to which is attached a public library.
It has a public library (1865) with 15,000 volumes in 1909.
The city has a public library (26,000 volumes in 1908), the Nathan Littauer memorial hospital, a state armoury and a fine government building.
Libraries, Museums, &c. - The Public Library has more than 100,000 volumes (it had more than 165,000 volumes before the fire of 1906, but then lost all but about 25,000).
It has a public library (1864), with upwards of 17,000 volumes, and about 12 m.
The public buildings include the Burgh Hall, the academy (with a graceful steeple), the county buildings, the Denny Memorial, a Literary and a Mechanics' institute, Masonic hall, two cottage hospitals, a fever hospital, a public library and the combination poorhouse.
There are a government high school, a German Lutheran mission, and a public library endowed by a former maharaja of Hatwa.
There is a public library (14,225 volumes in 1910).
Other institutions are the Whitelands training college for school-mistresses, in which Ruskin took deep interest; the St Mark's college for school-masters; the Victoria and the Cheyne hospitals for children, a cancer hospital, the Southwestern polytechnic, and a public library containing an excellent collection relative to local history.
The government acquired Metcalfe Hall, in order to convert it into a public library and reading-room worthy of the capital of India; and also the country-house of Warren Hastings at Alipur, for the entertainment of Indian princes.
Besides the academy of sciences, which dates from 1584, there are several institutions of the same kind - a royal philomathic academy, a royal academy of arts and a public library of 50,000 volumes.
The Watt Institution, founded in 1837 by a son of the famous engineer, James Watt, contains the public library (established in 1783), the Watt scientific library (presented in 1816 by Watt himself), and the marble statue of James Watt by Sir Francis Chantrey.
The Powow river, a small stream, passes through the centre of the township. There is a public library.
Mantua has an academy of arts and sciences (Accademict Vergiliana), occupying a fine building erected by Piermarini, a public library founded in 1780 by Maria Theresa, a museum of antiquities dating from 1779, many of which have been brought from Sabbioneta, a small residence town of the Gonzagas.
It possesses two Evangelical churches and one Roman Catholic, a town hall occupying the site of the castle of the princes of Leiningen-Hartenburg, an antiquarian and a scientific society, a public library and a high school.
In 1811 he became inspector of the public library at Avignon, and from 1812 to 1815 he held the same position at Nancy.
Franklin has a public library (housed in the Ray memorial building and containing 7700 volumes in 1910) and is the seat of Dean Academy (Universalist; founded in 1865), a secondary school for boys and girls.
A poorly provided public library is open to the use of students.
The city is the meetingplace of a Chatauqua Assembly, and has a public library.
He founded a public library (dedicated in 1866) in Ithaca, and died there on the 9th of December 1874.
A public library was established here in 1792; it was housed in a new building in 1904.
There are several modern churches, a guildhall, public library and school of art.
The public library is housed in a handsome building in Warden Street.
The principal buildings are the town-hall, county buildings, corn exchange, mechanics' institute and the public library.
The Louisville Public Library was established in 1902, and 04 acquired the library, the small museum (containing the Troost collection of minerals) and the art gallery of the Polytechnic Society of Louisville (1878), which for many years had maintained the only public library in the city.
The city has several parks, the Union county court house (1905), a public library and several charitable institutions.
Alton has a public library and a public park.
Gamble Institute (named after the founder) contains halls, recreation rooms, a public library and baths.
The city has a public library and a hospital.
Other buildings are the court-house, a public library containing many old works, a theatre, a large concert-hall, a museum of antiquities (as well as a separate collection of Spanish antiquities), a gymnasium, a teachers' and art school, a building (1880) to contain the provincial archives, a hospital (1889) and barracks.
The public buildings include several modern churches, two hospitals and a museum with collections of antiquities, natural history, porcelain, &c. Connected with the museum is a public library with 75,000 volumes and a number of valuable manuscripts, many of them richly illuminated.
The public library (more than 180,000 volumes in 1908) grew out of a private library, the Athenaeum (1860), was reorganized by Herbert Putnam (librarian from 1887 to 1891), and has several branches, the most notable of which is the Pillsbury Library (1904) on the east side; in its main building (Hennepin Avenue and roth Street) are the offices of the Minnesota Academy of Natural Sciences (1873), which, with the Society of Fine Arts, assisted in erecting the building in 1884.
It has a public library (1868) of about 13,500 volumes, a public hospital and a village hall.
The public library had 228,500 volumes in 1908, including one of the best collections of state and town histories in the country.
The members of the public library commission, six in number, are elected by the board of education.
The principal public building of Croydon is that erected by the corporation for municipal business; it included court-rooms and the public library.
It contains the outlying villages of Greenwood, Montrose and Boyntonville; and, larger than these, Wakefield, near the centre of the township. In this village is the town hall, the gift of Cyrus Wakefield (1811-1873), and the Beebe Town Library, founded in 1856 as the Public Library of South Reading, and later renamed in honour of Lucius Beebe, a generous patron.
It has pleasant residential villages (Arlington, Arlington Heights, &c.) with attractive environs, and there is an excellent public library (the Robbins library).
Supplementing the educative influence of the schools are the public libraries (161 in number in 1907); the state appropriates $200 to establish, and $100 per annum to maintain, a public library (provided the town in which the library is to be established contributes an equal amount), and the Public Library Committee has for its duty the study of library problems. Higher education is provided by Yale University; by Trinity College, at Hartford (nonsectarian), founded in 1823; by Wesleyan University, at Middletown, the oldest college of the Methodist Church in the United States, founded in 1831; by the Hartford Theological Seminary (1834); by the Connecticut Agricultural College, at Storrs (founded 1881), which has a two years' course of preparation for rural teachers and has an experiment station; by the Connecticut Experiment Station at New Haven, which was established in 1875 at Middletown and was the first in the United States; and by normal schools at New Britain (established 1881), Willimantic (1890), New Haven (1894) and Danbury (1903).
The Quincy Library, founded in 1837, has been a free public library since 1889.
Among its prominent buildings are the United States government building, the Capitol (erected1866-1903at a cost of $3,200,589 and one of the best state buildings in the country), the county court house, the public library (1882), an auditorium (with a seating capacity of about 5000), the Y.M.C.A.
There are also a number of other initiatives DCMS should consider to encourage public library services to actively embrace the social inclusion agenda.
The project survey examined the extent to which this policy impetus was being reflected in activity in public library authorities (PLAs ).
It is a multi purpose facility that includes a sports hall, fitness suite, public library and an IT suite.
The ancient episcopal palace is now used as a court of justice; a public library is kept in the hotel de ville.
The public library contained 330,000 volumes in 1908, the Case library (subscription) 65,000 volumes, the Hatch library of Adelbert College about 56,000 volumes, the library of the Western Reserve Historical Society 22,500 volumes, and the Cleveland law library, in the court house, 20,000 volumes.
Among the libraries are included the Public Library (1893) with 54,000 volumes in 1909, the library of the Oneida Historical Society (which occupies the Munson-Williams Memorial Building), the Utica Law Library and the Deutscher Leserverein.
In the spring of 1893 a club was started in Tuscumbia, of which Mrs. Keller was president, to establish a public library.
I have only a few moments left in which to answer your questions about the "Helen Keller" Public Library.
My mother and several of my friends said they would help me with the establishment of a public library.
An Arizona public library is the first to offer an online serialized novel for kids...
Underpinned by a public library ethos, WWR produces reader development resources for libraries and other agencies.
The public library is still one of the best places children can go and borrow books.
You may also be able to get some good information at the public library.
Mark Twain's home survived as a school, an apartment complex and even the Hartford Public Library.
If a school or public library has the World Book installed on its in-house computers, then you'll find some different interfaces and streamlined results.
Parents who want to learn more about the Internet and how it works can visit their local public library to find some books about the Internet and Internet safety issues.
If the newspaper is no longer in print, or doesn't have editions dating back to when you need, check out the local public library of the town where the individual died.
The Saginaw Public Library maintains an obituary index spanning back to the early 1900s for Saginaw County.
While Ancestry does charge a fee for a subscription, you may be able to access it for free at your public library.
Often, the records are donated to a public library when a cemetery stops acting as a functioning cemetery.
Heritage Quest Online is free if your local public library or local genealogical society has access.
Public Library - your public library usually has a message board that will provide information on local happenings - such as when and where support groups meet.
In addition, check with your local 4-H office or public library to see if they have one to lend.
If your budget is tight this year, consider using one at your public library.
Always check out community yard sales and public library book sales.
The Kansas City Public Library has instructions for making a holiday origami garland out of wrapping paper.
You can also find a variety of acupressure books at your local public library.
Features like lectures, exhibitions and films were showcased, and several designers showed their collections at other Lincoln Center locations, like the New York Public Library for the Performing Arts.
To find out if a charity is eligible, use IRS Publication 78, which is available online or through your local public library.
When the public library system got into the business of renting movies, they were able to undercut the prices and give longer check-out times on older titles.
The Willard Library in Evansville, Indiana is the oldest public library in the state.
Many books at your local public library or book store also retell actual paranormal cases.
This can be accomplished by taking the bus instead of driving to work, eliminating a trip to a fast food restaurant, clipping coupons, or checking out movies from the public library instead of going to the video store.
Reading is the ideal frugal hobby, but sometimes it's not convenient to make a trip to the public library.
Another study supporting the views of the medical community is a case-controlled study published by the Public Library of Science in September 2008.
A 2008 study that was published in the Public Library of Science investigated the results of an earlier study that linked the MMR vaccine with autism.
Another great resource for finding resume examples is your public library.
You can go online to get tips or visit your local public library.
Another place you can go for free resume help is to your local public library.
You can also meet students at a public library or coffee shop.
Go to your public library and check out a collection of wildlife books.
You may also wish to purchase a sample issue of each magazine at your local newsstand or browse through the copies at the nearest public library before committing to a year-long subscription.
While books are not free, they may be available at your school or public library.
If you're good at picking things up from books and videotapes, visit your local public library.