Prolate sentence example
- The cases of greatest practical importance are those of a sphere (which is an ellipsoid with three equal axes) and an ovoid or prolate ellipsoid of revolution.
- An experiment was devised by Lord Kelvin for demonstrating this, in which the difference of steadiness was shown of a copper shell filled with liquid and spun gyroscopically, according as the shell was slightly oblate or prolate.
- In the extreme case when e=1, the prolate ellipsoid becomes a long thin rod, and then the capacity is given by C 1 = a/log e 2a/b (io), which is identical with the formula (2) already obtained.
- The name cycloid is now restricted to the curve described when the tracing-point is on the circumference of the circle; if the point is either within or without the circle the curves are generally termed trochoids, but they are also known as the prolate and curtate cycloids respectively.
- Another group are prolate, having the major axis horizontal, usually.Advertisement
- An egg is more or less a prolate spheroid, and the difference between it and a sphere is quite obvious visually.
- (x2+3,2) If the ellipsoid is one of revolution round the major axis a (prolate) and of eccentricity e, then the above formula reduces to I I l og e (I +e) C - tae Whereas if it is an ellipsoid of revolution round the minor axis b (oblate), we have I sin - tae C2 - ae (9).