Predicables sentence example
- the predicables, or heads of predication as it is analysed in relation to the provisional theory of definition that dialectic allows and requires.
- In this irreversible catena proceeding from ground to consequent, we have left far behind such things as the formal parity of genus and differentia considered as falling under the same predicable, 3 and hence justified in part Porphyry's divergence from the scheme of predicables.
- the Aristotelian predicables as restated by Porphyry.
- Predicables >>
- It is the designation of these outward things which forms the " first intention " of names; and it is only at a later stage, when thought comes to observe its own modes, that names, looked upon as predicables and universals, are taken in their " second intention."Advertisement
- The treatise of Porphyry deals with the notions of genus, species, difference, property and accident (see Predicables); and he mentions, but declines to discuss, the various theories that have been held as to the ontological import of genera and species.
- PREDICABLES (Lat.