Praia sentence example
- The chief town and residence of the governor is called St Antony (San Antonio de Praia).
- Within these bays are beaches of white sand, called praias, such as the Praia da Icarahy, Praia das Flechas and Praia Grande, upon which face low tile-covered residences surrounded with gardens.
- The city consists of a number of these partially separated districts - Praia Grande, Sao Domingos, Icarahy, Jurujuba, Santa Rosa, Sao Lourenco, Ponta d'Areia and Barreto - all together covering 8 or 9 m.
- An electric street railway connects all the outlying districts with the ferry stations of Praia Grande and Sao Domingos.
- The first settlement on the east side of the Bay of Rio de Janeiro dates from 1671, when a chapel was erected at Praia Grande, in the vicinity of an Indian village.Advertisement
- The settlement did not become a village until 1819, when it was named Villa Real da Praia Grande.
- In 1834 the city and municipal district of Rio de Janeiro was separated from the province, and Praia Grande became the capital of the latter in the following year.
- The greatest development has been northward and westward, where are to be found the suburbs of Cidade Nova, Sao Christovao, Engenho Novo, Praia Formoso, Pedregulho, Villa Isabel, Tijuca, and a number of smaller places extending far out on the line of the Central railway.
- Since the beginning of the 20th century large sums have been borrowed and expended on new avenues, the widening and straightening of old streets, and the improvement of the water-front between the Passeio Publico and the southern extremity of the Praia de Botafogo by the construction of a grand boulevard, partly on reclaimed land.
- Another important school, partly of this class, is the Instituto Benjamin Constant, located in a fine new edifice on the Praia da Saudade, Botafogo.Advertisement
- Most prominent among the asylums is the Hospicio Nacional for the insane, on the Praia da Saudade, Botafogo, which was erected 1842-52, and is one of the most completely equipped institutions of its class in the world.
- Miguel's fleet was defeated in Praia Bay on the 12th of August.
- There are a number of golf courses just a short drive from Praia da Luz and coaches take day-trippers to the local water parks.
- Praia dÃ¢Oura is great for shopping, with plenty of open-air stalls and street vendors for gifts and souvenirs.