Pouched sentence example
- The various species of rapacious animals are disappearing, together with the colonies of marmots; the insectivores are also becoming scarce in consequence of the destruction of insects; while vermin, such as the suslik, or pouched marmot (Spermophilus), and the destructive insects which are a scourge to agriculture, become a real plague.
- The first class includes the isabelline bear, badger, pole-cat, ermine, roe and fallow deer, wild ass, Syrian squirrel, pouched marmoset, gerbill and leopard.
- schistocolor), the beaver, variable hare, wild boar, roebuck, stag, reindeer, elk and Phoca annelata of Lake Baikal - all these are common alike to Europe and to Siberia; while the bear, musk-deer (Moschus moschi- f erus), ermine, sable, pouched marmot or souslik (Spermophilus eversmani), Arvicola obscures and Lagomys hyperboraeus, distributed over Siberia, may be considered as belonging to the arctic fauna.
- In hares and pacas the inside of the cheeks is hairy; and in some species, pouched rats and hamsters, there are large internal cheek-pouches lined with hair, which open near the angles of the mouth and extend backwards behind the ears.
- In the New World pouched rats (Geomyidae) the pouches open externally on the cheeks.Advertisement
- The American pouched rats, or pocket-gophers, constitute the third section, Geomyoidea, with the single family Geomyidae.
- Many of the species have medium or even long tails, while some are nearly double the size of the typical representative of the group. All, however, have large cheek-pouches, whence the name of pouched marmots, by which they are sometimes called; and they have the first fronttoe rudimentary, as in marmots.
- groppo, whence English "group"), the ingluvies, or pouched expansion of a bird's oesophagus, in which the food remains to undergo a preparatory process of digestion before being passed into the true stomach.
- pouched rats to sniff out landmines.
- pouched lips.Advertisement
- pouched diaper covers (bottom of picture) Medium 14 ½ inches to fit Medium.
- C and D, Other abnormal forms more deeply pouched, showing formation of pitcher.
- They are hooded and pouched like a Calceolaria flower, and about an inch across every way.