Potsherds sentence example
- Let the potsherd strive with the potsherds of the earth.
- During the excavations on the Acropolis at Athens, terminated in 1888, many potsherds of the Mycenaean style were found; but Olympia had yielded either none, or such as had not been recognized before being thrown away, and the temple site at Delphi produced nothing distinctively Aegean.
- But the city, as a superficial inspection of the site shows, must have existed as a settlement long before Omri, as potsherds of earlier date lie scattered on the surface.
- Very interesting examples of Israelite written inscriptions on potsherds, dating from the 9th century B.C. and probably from the reign of Ahab, were found that are of great palaeographical importance.
- Inscriptions, beautiful mosaics and other traces of comfortable houses have been found, with many potsherds, coins and bronze, iron and other objects; and a large part of the town walls, several mosaics and parts of buildings, can be seen.Advertisement
- The bedding plants generally may be potted in this way, the advantage being that at planting-out time there is less risk of disturbing the roots than if there were potsherds to remove.
- For epiphytal plants like orchids the most thorough drainage must be secured by the abundant use of potsherds, small pots being sometimes inserted inside the larger ones, or by planting in shallow pots or pans, so that there shall be no large mass of soil to get consolidated.
- A relief figure in stone, some pavements, potsherds, coins and burials have been found, but nothing to indicate an important station.
- Smaller elliptical houses were found near by, with geometric potsherds, bronzes, and a few iron weapons.
- It contained potsherds which are said to range from " Troy I."Advertisement
- Excavations carried on in 1910 showed that the town of the "Mycenean" period which lay on the left bank of the Eurotas a little to the south-east of Sparta was roughly triangular in shape, with its apex towards the north: its area is approximately equal to that of Sparta, but denudation and destruction have wrought havoc with its buildings and nothing is left save ruined foundations and broken potsherds.
- In most cases, however, the latter tendency is guarded against, in making up the paste for moulding, by adding to the fresh clay a certain proportion of burnt material of the same kind, such as old bricks or potsherds, ground to a coarse powder.
- The excavation revealed what appeared to be refuse of some sort, containing numerous potsherds, bones, metal pieces and a few coins.
- The inscribed potsherds reveal a surprise: the quarries were not worked by slaves, but by highly skilled and well-paid workers.
- Some small potsherds had been remarked in gardens of Old Street below the school.Advertisement
- They are not only not interested in it, but are more interested in broken potsherds.
- Microliths, medieval potsherds and bricks have been noted on the surface.
- Your pot should have a layer of coarse material -- ranging from potsherds to styrofoam pellets -- in the bottom to help with drainage.