Postern sentence example
- There is also a postern gate on the north side of the wall, and at its eastern extremity are two apertures in the thickness of the wall.
- It is approached in a very circuitous way, either by a passage (Xaupn) leading from a side door in the main propylaeum or by another long passage which winds round the back cf the chief hall, and so leads by a long flight of steps, cut in the rock, to the little postern door in the semicircular bastion.
- As to Ludgate there is reason to believe that if there was an opening there in Roman times it was merely a postern.
- This postern was remarkably strong, having gates of oak, iron doors, and a heavy portcullis.
- The guards conferred for a moment before one disappeared from the ramparts and emerged a few moments later at a small postern.Advertisement
- Small postern door in the semicircular bastion, approached by flight of rockcut steps.