Portly sentence example
- Anisya Fedorovna came in and leaned her portly person against the doorpost.
- A short, portly banana will have a different personality than a tall, slim banana.
- It was a Brit, Malcolm Sayer, a rather portly chap who smoked roll up cigarettes.
- His somewhat portly figure always sported a white waistcoat with a gold watch and chain.
- And despite its slightly portly girth, the S-type exhibits a surprising turn of speed.Advertisement
- For those too portly or lazy to turn to pedal power, taxis are the only way to avoid public transport.
- He was a portly man, with a rubicund visage, very shrewd, and nothing of a bigot.
- Ben Jonson introduces Comus, in his masque entitled Pleasure reconciled to Virtue (1619), as the portly jovial patron of good cheer, "First father of sauce and deviser of jelly."
- This slightly portly man sat at the bar and nervously drank a half pint and then made a quick call on his mobile.
- "Ah, here he is, my hero!" said Kutuzov to a portly, handsome, dark- haired general who was just ascending the knoll.Advertisement
- And as he waved his arms to impersonate the policeman, his portly form again shook with a deep ringing laugh, the laugh of one who always eats well and, in particular, drinks well.