Poor-house sentence example
- The various hospitals, the poor-house, the orphanage and most of the other charitable foundations are Roman Catholic institutions.
- Among the secular buildings are the old ducal palace, begun in 1578 by Ammanati, and now the residence of the prefect and seat of the provincial officers and the public picture gallery; the early Renaissance Palazzo Pretorio, or former residence of the podesta, now the seat of the civil and correctional courts; the palace, erected in the 15th century by a member of the Guinigi family, of brick, in the Italian Gothic style, and now serving as a poor-house; the 16th-century palace of the marquis Guidiccioni, now used as a depository for the archives, the earliest documents going back to A.D.
- The county commissioners of each county have charge of the poor-house of the county, appoint its superintendent, physician and other officials, and report annually to the judge of the Court of General Sessions, who submits this report to the grand jury.
- Each poor-house must have sufficient tillable land to give employment to all paupers who are able to work.
- This false marquis made me dine with him in his poor house.Advertisement
- If you don't have one and fall sick or injure yourself, ridiculously exorbitant doctor and hospital fees could send you straight to the poor house.
- Drive your competition into the poor house.
- Music can be an expensive hobby - if you went out and bought an album every time the mood struck you, then you would probably find yourself with a one way ticket to the poor house.