Pontoons sentence example
- The Rialto bridge was designed in 1178 by Nicolo Barattieri, and was carried on pontoons.
- Lets hope the plans to install pontoons in the basin (see WW May 2000) will ease the problems of mooring here.
- There are a straight run of 4 berths and a further 14 berths on attached finger pontoons.
- Other facilities, including the slipway, additional workshops and sheds, and the installation of pontoons, will be built to meet demand.
- Until modern times the city was built largely on floating pontoons or on piles at the edges of the innumerable canals and water-courses which formed the thoroughfares, but to meet the requirements of modern life, well-planned roads and streets have been constructed in all directions, crossing the old canals at many points and lined with well-built houses, for the most part of brick, in which the greater part of the erstwhile riparian population now resides.Advertisement
- A battle was fought on the Canal banks, and some Turkish detachments succeeded in launching pontoons on the Canal itself.
- The pontoons are of iron, 852 ft.
- The rapidity with which walls, piles and pontoons - stone, wood and iron - become covered with marine plants is well known, while the discovery of some effective means of preventing the fouling of the bottoms of ships by the growth of algae would be hailed as a boon by shipowners.
- Due to insufficient bridging material or pontoons, the brigade had to satisfy itself with the occupation of the eastern perimeter of the village.