Pogroms sentence example
- Dubrovin, president of the Union of the Russian People and organizer of pogroms, having written a letter of congratulation to the tsar on the occasion of the coup d'etat, received a gracious reply; the hideous reign of terror of the " Black Hundred " in Odessa did not prevent the Grand-duke Constantine from accepting the badge of membership of the Union.
- What Hitler did in his concentration camps was equaled if not exceeded in foulness by the soviet gulags, forced starvation and pogroms.
- The family had escaped the pogroms in Galicia which was then part of the Austrian Empire.
- Werth estimates that 150,000 people were killed in the anti-Semitic pogroms conducted by Denikin's troops in 1919.
- It is a product of pogroms, and is itself the greatest pogrom of history.Advertisement
- Many other pogroms have occurred, and the condition of the Jews has been reduced to one of abject poverty and despair.
- Such incidents were the Damascus charge of ritual murder (1840), the forcible baptism of the Italian child Mortara (1858), and the Russian pogroms at various dates.
- The " black band " (chernaya sotnia), or " black hundreds," as they were branded by public opinion, directed their attacks especially against the Jews, and pogroms,' i.e.