Pneumocystis sentence example
- Pneumocystis carinii was identified by immunofluorescence in only one (placebo) of 73 nasopharyngeal aspirates from children with pneumonia.
- African Americans with HIV infection are less likely to be on antiretroviral therapy, less likely to receive prophylaxis for Pneumocystis pneumonia, and less likely to be receiving protease inhibitors than other persons with HIV.
- As early as three months of age, however, the SCID child begins to suffer from mouth infections (thrush), chronic diarrhea, otitis media, and pulmonary infections, including pneumocystis pneumonia.
- The most common opportunistic infection in children with XHIM is a lung disease known as Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia (PCP).
- The most common telltale symptom, however, is PCP; in fact, the frequency of Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in children with hyper-IgM syndrome was a useful clue to geneticists searching for the mutation that causes the disorder.Advertisement
- Pneumocystis carinii causes pneumonia in immunosuppressed individuals such as patients being treated with chemotherapy or people with AIDS.
- Pneumocystis carinii-An organism that causes pneumonia in immunodeficient individuals, such as people with AIDS.
- Immunodeficient individuals are at higher risk for infection with Pneumocystis carinii and are frequently put on a regular preventive drug regimen of trimethoprim sulfa and/or inhaled pentamidine to avoid pneumocystis pneumonia.
- Pneumocystis carinii-A parasite transitional between a fungus and protozoan, frequently occurring as aggregate forms existing within rounded cystlike structures.