Plenary indulgence sentence example
- Torquemada to be grand inquisitor of Spain; and he offered plenary indulgence to all who would engage in a crusade against the Waldenses.
- Zwingli denounced the publication of plenary indulgence to all visitors to the shrine, and his sermons in the Swiss vernacular drew great crowds and attracted the attention of Rome.
- The first definite instance of a plenary Indulgence is that of Urban II.
- During its continuance plenary indulgence is obtainable by all the faithful, on condition of their penitently confessing their sins and visiting certain churches a stated number of times, or doing an equivalent amount of meritorious work.
- On the 22nd of February 1300 the bull of Boniface VIII., Antiquorum habet fidem, promised plenary indulgence to every Roman who should visit the churches of the apostles Peter and Paul on thirty days during the year, and to every foreigner who should perform the same act on fifteen days.Advertisement
- This placed the pilgrimage to Rome on a level with the crusades - the only mode of obtaining a plenary indulgence.
- The Holy Father granted all World Youth Day participants a plenary indulgence.
- Gluttony and winebibbing are granted a plenary indulgence by all but the most ascetic at this festal time.