Plate-glass sentence example
- Plate and rolled plate glass.
- It is practically impossible to work with the sensitive film in contact with the reseau-film, not only because dust particles and contact would injure the silver film, but also because the plate-glass used for the photographic plates is seldom a perfect plane.
- In most modern works the greater part of these operations, as well as the actual rolling of the glass, is carried out by mechanical means, steam power and subsequently electrical power having been successfully applied to this purpose; the handling of the great weights of glass required for the largest sheets of plate-glass which are produced at the present time would, indeed, be impossible without the aid of machinery.
- Plate-glass is manufactured in this manner in thicknesses varying from 1 in.
- The glass is taken from the furnace in large iron ladles, which are carried upon slings running on overhead rails; from the ladle the glass is thrown upon the cast-iron bed of a rolling-table, and is rolled into sheet by an iron roller, the process being similar to that employed in making plate-glass, but on a smaller scale.Advertisement
- The various varieties of rolled plate-glass are now produced for some purposes with a reinforcement of wire netting which is embedded in the mass of the glass.
- Thevart, he succeeded in perfecting the process of casting plate-glass.
- Plate-glass was made by Messrs Cookson of Newcastle, and by the British Plate Glass Company of Ravenhead.
- Among manufactures are plate glass and bottles, table ware, paper, bricks, iron and steel articles, and steel sheets and billets.
- At Rossford (pop. about 400), a suburb, is the large plant of the Ford plate-glass works.Advertisement
- Other articles of manufacture are leather, tobacco, porcelain, cement, spirits, lead pencils (Nuremberg), plate-glass, sugar, matches, aniline dyes, straw hats and baskets.
- It also has a light transmittance of 92% (compared to plate glass with 88% ), and is suitable for cutting.
- It also has a light transmittance of 92% (compared to plate glass with 88 %), and is suitable for cutting.
- If you feel like slamming your head through a plate glass window, think of how silly this will look.
- Following the acrylic lens example and aiming for a good lightweight lens material, The Pittsburgh Plate Glass Company created CR-39.Advertisement