Placating sentence example
- Fred O'Connor was out, no doubt placating his sweethearts after his four-day hiatus to Scranton.
- (See Serpent, below.) (v.) One of the most widely found modes of showing respect to animals is known as totemism (see Totem And Totemism), but except in decadent forms there is but little positive worship; in Central Australia, however, the rites of the Wollunqua totem group are directed towards placating this mythical animal, and cannot be termed anything but religious ceremonies.
- She leaned back to kiss him, the feel of her soft lips against his both infuriating and placating.
- In ancient Rome the Di manes, or as we should say the blessed dead, who reposed in their necropolis outside the walls, were specially commemorated on the dies parentales or days of placating them (placandis Manibus).
- Madison had no false hopes of placating the Federalist opposition, but as.Advertisement