Piteous sentence example
- He made a piteous, frightened face and bent down.
- He asked in a hesitating, piteous voice.
- Please get it for me and put it under for a moment, he pleaded in a piteous voice.
- They forgot that the frightened face and the figure could not be altered, and that however they might change the setting and adornment of that face, it would still remain piteous and plain.
- But these words came like a piteous, despairing cry and an entreaty for pardon.Advertisement
- Cond now began intrigues with the princes whom he had previously betrayed; but his pride dissolved in piteous entreaties when Thmines, captain of the guard, arrested him in September 1616.
- Even in the existing versions of the letters, translated from the lost originals and retranslated from this translation of a text which was probably destroyed in 1603 by order of King James on his accession to the English throne - even in these possibly disfigured versions, the fiery pathos of passion, the fierce and piteous fluctuations of spirit between love and hate, hope and rage and jealousy, have an eloquence apparently beyond the imitation or invention of art (see Casket Letters 1).
- All march discipline disappeared, the men dissolved into hordes of marauders and even the sternest of the marshals wrote piteous appeals to the emperor for supplies, and for permission to shoot some of their stragglers.
- The Doctor called, and shouted, and fired signals, and Duk made piteous lamentations; but there was no response.
- One night I saw a crowd on a street and heard piteous wails.Advertisement
- On the Pratzen Heights, where he had fallen with the flagstaff in his hand, lay Prince Andrew Bolkonski bleeding profusely and unconsciously uttering a gentle, piteous, and childlike moan.
- Piteous, helpless, animal moans came through the door.
- The roar of guns, the whistling of projectiles, and the piteous moaning of the cook, which rose above the other sounds, did not cease for a moment.
- Suddenly the angry, squirrel-like expression of the princess' pretty face changed into a winning and piteous look of fear.