Pictor sentence example
- Like Fabius Pictor, he wrote in Greek.
- Livy regards him as a less trustworthy authority than Fabius Pictor, and Niebuhr considers him the first to introduce systematic forgeries into Roman history.
- After the pontificate of Publius, the practice of compiling annals was carried on by various unofficial writers, of whom Cicero names Cato, Pictor and Piso.
- Livy in general adheres to the epoch of Cato, though he sometimes follows that of Fabius Pictor.
- Fabius Maximus Servilianus (consul 142); or there may have been two annalists of the name of Fabius Pictor.Advertisement
- The Roman historians, from Fabius Pictor to Tacitus, cared for none of these things.
- Fabius Pictor, a patrician and a senator, can scarcely have published his annals before the close of the Second Punic War, but these annals covered the whole period from the arrival of Evander in Italy down at least to the battle by Lake Trasimene (217 B.C.).
- As to the first decade, it is generally agreed that in the first and second books, at any rate, he follows such older and simpler writers as Fabius Pictor and Calpurnius Piso (the only ones whom he there refers to by name), to whom, so far as the first book is concerned, Niebuhr (Lectures, p 33) would add the poet Ennius.
- Fabius Pictor show that it is not enough by itself.