Phlogopite sentence example
- Calc-schists are usually argillaceous limestones in which a large development of biotite or phlogopite has occasioned foliation.
- The principal members of the group are muscovite, biotite, phlogopite and lepidolite.
- To the first class, with the optic axial plane perpendicular to the plane of symmetry, belong muscovite, lepidolite, paragonite, and a rare variety of biotite called anomite; the second class includes zinnwaldite, phlogopite, lepidomelane and most biotites.
- Muscovite and biotite are commonly found in siliceous rocks, whilst phlogopite is characteristic of calcareous rocks.
- The commercially valuable micas of Canada and Ceylon are mainly phlogopite (q.v.), which has a rather different mode of occurrence.Advertisement
- Muscovite and phlogopite are practically the only species used commercially, the former being the more common.
- Phlogopite is rarely found as colourless transparent sheets and is therefore almost exclusively used for electrical purposes.
- At Moriah and Port Henry, in Essex county, is a stone known as ophlite marble, a mixture of serpentine, dolomite and calcite interspersed with small flecks of phlogopite.
- Other minerals present include diopside, pargasite, spinel, phlogopite, apatite, graphite, pyrrhotite and zircon (Davidson 1943 ).