Philippine-islands sentence example
- The Church now has, besides these missions, others in India (1834), Siam (1840), China (1846),(1846), Colombia (1856), Brazil (1859),(1859), Japan (1859), Laos (1867),(1867), Mexico (transferred in 1872 by the American and Foreign Christian Union), Chile (transferred in 1873 by the same Union; first established in 1845), Guatemala (1882),(1882), Korea (1884)(1884) and the Philippine Islands (1899).
- Although he had advised the ratification of the Peace Treaty, he opposed the permanent acquisition of the Philippine Islands.
- From this species the tobaccos of Cuba, the United States, the Philippine Islands and the Latakia of Turkey are derived, and it is also largely cultivated in India; the variety macrophylla is the source of the Maryland tobaccos.
- Coal is worked to some extent in Sumatra, British North Borneo, and the Philippine Islands.
- The Philippine Islands which had been for several centuries a Spanish possession, passed in 1898 by conquest to the United States of America.Advertisement
- The Areca palm is a native of the Malay Peninsula and Islands and is extensively cultivated over a wide area in the East, including southern India, Ceylon, Siam, the Malay Archipelago and the Philippine Islands.
- Missionary work in the Pacific began with Magellan (1521), when in a fortnight he converted all the inhabitants of Cebu and the adjacent Philippine Islands!
- Albay is one of the most important cities of the Philippine Islands.
- The treaty of peace between the United States and Spain, by which the Philippine Islands passed into the hands of the former, was signed in Paris on the 10th of December 1898, but it was not confirmed by the Senate until the 6th of February 1899.
- For statistics, general description and material on administration, see Census of the Philippine Islands in 1903 (4 vols., Washington, 1905);; Pronouncing Gazetteer and Geographical Dictionary of the Philippine Islands (Washington, 1902); Ethnological Survey Publications of the.Advertisement
- Trade with the Philippine Islands and the Hawaiian Islands and Alaska is important, while the coastwise trade with Pacific ports exceeds all the rest in tonnage.
- Reckless as was the course adopted, it was in touch with the feelings of the majority of a nation which had been to the very end deceived by the government and by the press not only in regard to its own resources, but also in regard to those of the United States and of the colonists in arms in Cuba and in the Philippine Islands.
- In the western hemisphere they range along the Mexican highlands and the Andes far into the tropics, while in the Old World the genus, well represented in the Himalayas and the hills of China, exists likewise in the peninsula of Malacca, in the Indian Archipelago and Malaya to the Philippine Islands and Borneo.
- However, Asia is the largest continent in the world with 69 countries that include the Middle Eastern countries, all of India and the South Pacific Malaysian, Indonesian and Philippine islands.
- The costumes may bear some resemblance to a fine European gown, but adjustments in the fabric and cut (especially the sleeves) make these gowns unique to the culture of the Philippine islands.Advertisement