Pharsalia sentence example
- The Pharsalia of Lucan (39-65), with Cato as its hero, is essentially a Stoic manifesto of the opposition.
- This era was established to commemorate the victory obtained by Julius Caesar on the plains of Pharsalia, on the 9th of August in the year 48 B.C., and the 706th of Rome.
- Nevertheless he proceeded to Epirus before the battle of Pharsalia, and awaited the result at Dyrrachium in the company of Cicero and Cato.
- After the battle of Pharsalia Caesar made him procurator and a Roman citizen.
- But his most important work in the department of pure literature was his translation (1627) into heroic couplets of the Pharsalia of Lucan.Advertisement
- This was the route by which Julius Caesar arrived before the battle of Pharsalia.
- To the north-east of this, where a portion of the great plain begins to run up into the mountains, the Plain of Pharsalia is formed, which is intersected by the river Enipeus; and still farther in the same direction is the scene of another great battle, Cynoscephalae.
- Norse versions of Mary of Brittany's Lays, the stories of Brutus and of Troy, and part of the Pharsalia translated are also found.