Pelias sentence example
- By the aid of Apollo, who served him as a slave - either as a punishment for having slain the Cyclopes, or out of affection for his mortal master - he won the hand of Alcestis, the most beautiful of the daughters of Pelias, king of Iolcus.
- There are several snakes, including the viper (Pelias berus).
- The list of reptiles includes the venomous Vipera ammodytes and Pelias berus, while scorpions and lizards infest the stony wastes of the Karst.
- At the funeral games of Pelias, she wrestled with Peleus, and won.
- This task had been imposed on Jason by his uncle Pelias, who had usurped the throne of Iolcus in Thessaly, which rightfully belonged to Jason's father Aeson.Advertisement
- Because Tyro afterwards married her father's brother Cretheus, king of Iolcus in Thessaly, to whom she bore Aeson, Pheres and Amythaon, Pelias was by some thought to be the son of Cretheus.
- Af ter the death of Cretheus, Pelias made himself master of the kingdom of Iolous, having previously quarrelled with Neleus, who removed to Messenia, where he founded Pylos.
- When Jason returned he sought to avenge the death of his parents, and Medea persuaded the daughters of Pelias to cut in pieces and boil their father, assuring them that he would thus be restored to youth.
- Acastus, son of Pelias, drove out Jason and Medea and celebrated funeral games in honour of his father, which were celebrated by the poet Stesichorus and represented on the chest of Cypselus.
- The death of Pelias was the subject of Sophocles' Rhizotmnoi (Root-cutters), and in the Tyro he treated another portion of the legend.Advertisement
- Peliades (the daughters of Pelias) was the name of Euripides' first play.
- In order to rid himself of Jason, Pelias sent him to Colchis in quest of the golden fleece, and took advantage of his absence to put to death his father, Aeson, his mother and brother.