Peerages sentence example
- For the operations of this campaign Wellington was created marquess of Douro and duke of Wellington, and peerages were conferred upon Beresford, Graham and Hill.
- There was no restriction on the regent's authority over treaties, peace and war, or parliament, as in the previous acts, but his power of granting peerages, offices and pensions was limited.
- They were restricted from granting peerages, and from dissolving parliament without directions from the successor.
- This domain carried with it the right to one of the twelve peerages of Hainaut.
- 8 Riddell's Law and Practice in Scottish Peerages, p. 578; also Nisbet's System of Heraldry, ii.Advertisement
- The great majority of the people were excluded as Roman Catholics from the franchise; two-thirds of the members of the House of Commons were returned by small boroughs at the absolute disposal of single patrons, whose support was bought by a lavish distribution of peerages and pensions.
- The power of the sovereign to create new Scottish peerages lapsed at the Union, and consequently their number is a diminishing quantity.
- It was then decided that such rights should cease, except in the case of princes of royal blood and members then sitting, and that when all the hereditary peerages had lapsed the house should be composed of the princes of the royal blood, the archbishops and bishops of the continental dioceses, a hundred legislative peers appointed by the king for life, and fifty elected every new parliament by the Commons.
- Finally the peers of France, the number of whom was increased in course of time by fresh royal creations of peerages, became ex officio members.
- The other parties sell peerages for cash - why shouldn't we sell seats?Advertisement
- Life peerages were created also in the Scots Peerage.
- The loans for peerages scandal has rocked Tony Blair who was unable to walk unaided last week.
- Who can doubt that the scandal of loans for peerages and the NHS crisis have sapped public confidence in Labor?
- The current spat over cash for peerages sadly confirms everyone 's most cynical feelings about politics and politicians.