Pedunculate sentence example
- It was succeeded by the sessile-fruited oak, which was in turn supplanted by the pedunculate form of the same tree.
- One extremity carries a pedunculate rosette-organ.
- A flower having a stalk is called pedunculate or pedicel- late; one having no stalk is sessile.
- Therein an order Thoracica comprehends the pedunculate Lepadidae, together with the operculate and sessile Balanidae and Verrucidae; a single species without cirrhi constitutes the order Apoda, and a single species with only three pairs of cirrhi the order Abdominalia.
- The vernacular name barnacle, traceable to the fable of pedunculate cirripedes hatching out into bernicle geese, has also been transferred to the sessile cirripedes, which are popularly known as acorn barnacles.Advertisement
- In Ulodendron the large circular, distichously arranged prints were supposed to have been formed by the pressure of the bases of sessile cones, though this interpretation of the scars is open to doubt, and it is now more probable that they bore deciduous vegetative branches; in the Halonial branches characteristic of the genus Lepidophloios the tubercles may perhaps mark the points of insertion of pedunculate strobili.
- The range of sessile oak does not extend quite as far east in Russia as that of pedunculate oak.
- The Cowthorpe oak, standing (a ruin) near Wetherby in Yorkshire, at the same height measures 382 ft., and seems to have been of no smaller dimensions when described by Evelyn two centuries ago; like most of the giant oaks of Britain, it is of the pedunculate variety.