Peary sentence example
- Peary and Maigaard reached in 1886 about 100 m.
- Peary and Astrup, as already indicated, crossed in 1892 the northern part of the inland ice between 78° and 82° N., o reaching a height of about 8000 ft., and deter mined the northern termination of the icecovering.
- Peary made very nearly the same journey again in 1895.
- The coast-line of Melville Bay (the northern part of the west coast) is to some degree an exception, though the fjords may here be somewhat filled with glaciers, and, for another example, it may be noted that Peary observed a marked contrast on the north coast.
- In 1895 Peary found native iron at Cape York; since John Ross's voyage in 1818 it has been known to exist there, and from it the Eskimo got iron for their weapons.Advertisement
- In 1897 Peary brought the largest nodule to New York; it was estimated to weigh nearly loo tons.
- The announcement of Peary's attainment of the North Pole in 1909 convinced Amundsen that he could not raise sufficient funds for his proposed five years' absence, and he determined to make a dash for the South Pole in order to raise money for the greater project.
- Surveys were carried out to De Long Fjord, where they linked up with previous work of Peary.
- This expedition found that Nordenskjold Inlet, the supposed western end of Peary Channel, is only 14 m.
- A third Thule expedition started in 1920 under the leadership of Lauge Koch, who proposed to explore the interior of Peary Land and to fill in certain gaps in the chart of the N.W.Advertisement
- Peary and Astrup, as already indicated, crossed in 1892 the northern part of the inland ice between 78Ã‚° and 82Ã‚° N., o reaching a height of about 8000 ft., and deter mined the northern termination of the icecovering.