Pawnee sentence example
- or skin wigwams, the Pawnee earth lodge, the Iroquois them into shape with bone tools.
- 2 3.7 There may have been stories in circulation like that of Ea-bani (ï¿½ 8), and even such as those of the Skidi Pawnee, in which "people" marry animals, or become animals.
- Cheyne, Genesis and Exodus, referring to Dorsey, Traditions of the Skidi Pawnee, pp. 2, 80 ff.
- The resultant legislature (at Pawnee, later at Shawnee Mission) adopted the laws of Missouri almost en bloc, made it a felony to utter a word against slavery, made extreme pro-slavery views a qualification for office, declared death the penalty for aiding a slave to escape, and in general repudiated liberty for its opponents., The radical free-state men thereupon began the importation of rifles.
- Its name is said to be a corrupted form of "Pani" (Pawnee), the name of a tribe of Indians.Advertisement
- Grinnell, Pawnee Hero Stories (1893).
- The Caddoan family was represented by the Middle or Pawnee Confederacy; the Siouan family by its Dakota, Thegiha, Chiwere and Winnebago branches.
- Before the Civil War there were no very general troubles between Indians and whites, despite constant frontier difficulties, except the bloodless " Pawnee War " of 1859-60; but in 186364 the Indians rose rather generally along the frontier, and many settlers were killed.
- There were in 1900 small reservations for Omahas and Winnebagoes in Thurston county and for the Sioux in Sheridan county, and an agency for the Santees and Poncas near the mouth of the Niobrara; and at Genoa, where the Pawnee agency and reservation had been located, there was in 1908 an Indian school maintained by the United States government with 350 boarding pupils.
- 2 3.7 There may have been stories in circulation like that of Ea-bani (Ã¯¿½ 8), and even such as those of the Skidi Pawnee, in which "people" marry animals, or become animals.Advertisement
- 1 In the lead regions in the S.W., with the help of Pawnee slaves, the Indians worked the lead diggings in a rough way.