Pawl sentence example
- In the brake shown, the cone I is pressed against a corresponding recess in the ratchetwheel J, which latter turns loosely in the casing and is provided with a pawl not shown in the figure; this pawl allows freedom of motion when the load is being raised.
- The ratchet wheel is acted upon by a pawl which is shown on the diagram.
- When the poise is at the zero end, and there is no load on the platform, the end of the steelyard is down, and has locked the ratchet wheel by means of the pawl; the shaft being thus locked, the sprocket wheels are stopped, the drum-shaft runs free by the friction clutch, and the two pulleys which are connected by the crossed band are running idle.
- When the load to be weighed comes upon the platform, the end of the steelyard rises and unlocks the ratchet wheel through the pawl; the sprocket gearing is driven by the friction clutch, and drives the axle of the left-hand small pulley.
- The extended pawl allows for quick and simple release of the ties.Advertisement
- pawl ratchet mechanism.
- The parking pawl is a strong, positive stop within the transmission.
- A bar on a pivot called the " pawl " is fixed above the ratchet wheel.