Pauperism sentence example
- Many of them fell into the slough of pauperism, and were saved from starvation by public doles.
- The last asked for returns regarding valuation, taxation, educational and religious statistics, pauperism, crime and the prevailing rates of wages in each municipal division.
- As regards pauperism, the government subsidizes Protestant and Catholic orphan houses.
- Important efforts were made to attract French colonists to the country, the colonization of Algeria appearing as a means towards the extinction of pauperism in the mother-country.
- For the relief of pauperism there are a limited number of houses of mendicity, in which inmates are received, Provinces and communes.Advertisement
- The problem in 1834 was the reduction of able-bodied pauperism, to effect which the workhouse test was applied.
- The imperial laws which introduced the compulsory insurance of all the humbler workers within the empire, and gave them, when incapacitated by sickness, accident and old age, an absolute right to pecuniary assistance, have greatly reduced pauperism and crime.
- Berlin is also very richly endowed with charitable institutions for the relief of pauperism and distress.
- The political problems of the time interested him greatly, and his writings include two able letters to Sir Robert Peel, one dealing with the Variable Standard of Value, the other with the Increase of Pauperism (Oxford, 1819).
- We want to make Ireland loyal and contented; we want to get rid of pauperism in this country; we want to fight against a class which is more to be dreaded than the holders of a 7 franchise - I mean the dangerous class in our large towns.Advertisement
- A refuge of Italian pauperism in the time of the Gracchi, after the triumph of the oligarchy the Narbonnaise became a field for shameless exploitation, besides providing, under the proconsulate of Caesar, an excellent point of observation whence to watch the intestine quarrels between the different nations of Gaul.