Paterfamilias sentence example
- In the domestic circle the union of priesthood and natural headship was never disturbed; the Roman paterfamilias sacrificed for the whole family.
- The head of the house (paterfamilias) is the natural priest and has control of the domestic worship: he is assisted by his sons as acolytes (camilli) and deputes certain portions of the ritual to his wife and daughters and even to his bailiff (vilicus) and his bailiff's wife.
- Perhaps, like me, you're a high-powered executive, Army officer, judge, or simply a stern, Victorian paterfamilias.
- The Genius is originally the "spirit of developed manhood," the numen which is attached to every man and represents the sum total of his powers and faculties as the Juno does of the woman: each individual worships his own Genius on his birthday, but the household-cult is concerned with the Genius of the paterfamilias.
- If the administration of the assets of the foundation lacked the diligence of a bonus paterfamilias.Advertisement