Passive resistance sentence example
- Thereupon the power of church and state enforced by positive enactments the passive resistance of old institutions to the novel theories.
- And the passive resistance of those who refused to conform at length gave rise to active opposition.
- A period followed of arbitrary government on the one hand and of stubborn passive resistance on the other.
- But though he was thus able to carry the first reading of the new constitution by 227 to 93 votes, he was faced by the passive resistance of the great majority of Croats and Slovenes, who regarded with suspicion his " Great Serbian " and centralizing aims. It is significant that Protic, hitherto Pasic's most intimate associate, withdrew from the Radical party and from Parliament rather than sanction a constitution so inimical to provincial interests: while Trumbic, the foremost advocate of full national unity, recorded his vote against it.
- The captured passes were therefore fortified (as Feng-hwang-cheng had been) for passive resistance.Advertisement
- The attitude of passive resistance is, however, still maintained, and has affected the position of the duchy of Brunswick.
- Consequently a visit to Jerusalem is interpolated in the journey from Tyre to Gaza; and, Alexander, contrary to all expectation, is made to respect the high priest's passive resistance.
- The FoR supported conscientious objectors during World War I and was a supporter of passive resistance during World War II.
- In the occupied area the whole of heavy industry lay inert because of passive resistance.
- It is this passive resistance which accounts, for example, for the comparative paucity and poverty of distinctively Scottish literature since the Union.Advertisement
- The media quickly developed a campaign of passive resistance.
- In Croatia the coalition was more opportunist than ever, and sent its delegates to the coronation of Charles as King of Hungary: by its compliance it obtained the appointment of its own nominee, Mr. Mihalovic, as Ban, and was thus able to husband Croatian resources and on occasion to practise passive resistance.