Paschal-candle sentence example
- In the Roman Catholic Church the most characteristic ritual feature of the festival is now the solemn extinction of the paschal candle after the Gospel at high mass.
- One of the most notable of these was the use of the paschal candle.
- high, and bore the paschal candle proper, and together they reached a combined height of about 70 ft., the candle being lighted from an opening above.
- The burning of the paschal candle still forms part of the Easter ceremonial of the Roman Catholic Church.
- The power to bless in this ecclesiastical sense is reserved to priests alone; the blessing of the paschal candle on Holy Saturday by the deacon being the one exception that proves the rule, for he uses for the purpose grains of incense previously blessed by the priest at the altar.Advertisement
- This may be the paschal candle only.
- On Easter Eve new fire is made 3 with a flint and steel, and blessed; from this three candles are lighted, the lumen Christi, and from these again the Paschal Candle.
- At the consecration of the baptismal water the burning Paschal Candle is dipped into the font " so that the power of the Holy Ghost may descend into it and make it an effective instrument of regeneration."
- 4 The origin of the Paschal Candle is lost in the mists of antiquity.
- " Cierge ") the Paschal Candle was not originally a candle at all, but a wax column on which the dates of the movable feasts were inscribed.Advertisement
- The burning of the paschal candle still forms part of the Easter ceremonial of the Roman Catholic Church (see Lights, Ceremonial).