Party-lines sentence example
- But the staunch Federalists of the senate, who had begun to draw the party lines rather sharply, found the presence of the young Genevan highly distasteful.
- In the series of events which followed the first violence of the Sons of Liberty important changes were made in party lines.
- For some years after the war political contests in New York state as in the rest of the country were not on party lines.
- The experiment of applying responsible government on party lines to the two Canadian provinces at last seemed to have come to a deadlock.
- The value of local self-government as a training for the duties of citizenship has been very great, and in many parts of the country, especially where the funds dealt with are small, elections are not fought and offices not distributed upon party lines.Advertisement
- Old party lines were broken by the Compromise of 1850.
- The questions of the conduct of territorial affairs do not seem to have been contested systematically on national party lines until about 1825.
- Within a month after his victory over Santa Anna a Whig convention in Iowa nominated him for the presidency, and public meetings in Kentucky, Ohio, Virginia, Pennsylvania and elsewhere quickly took similar action, in many cases without regard to party lines.
- Benton and others prepared a plan for educating the slaves and gradually emancipating them under state law; and undoubtedly a considerable party would have supported such a project, for the Whigs and Democrats were not then divided along party lines on the slavery issue; but nothing took organized form in 1849, when Senator Benton repudiated certain ultra pro-slavery instructions, breathing a secession spirit, passed by the General Assembly for the guidance of the representatives of the state in Congress.
- Clearly, comrade Murray and his co-thinkers are beginning to find the restrictions of such ' party lines ' increasingly irksome.Advertisement
- Nevertheless when Taylor meetings became the fashion and newspapers began to advocate his nomination, party lines threatened to disappear despite the frantic efforts of the oldtime chiefs of the two leading organizations to stem the tide against the popular favourite.