Parley sentence example
- Here in 1381 Wat Tyler the rebel was killed by Sir William Walworth during the parley with Richard II.
- His visit he would now defer; but they had a very interesting parley about what could be done and should be done.
- Their leader, Juan Diaz de Solis, landing incautiously in 1516 on the north coast with a few attendants to parley with a body of Charrua Indians, was suddenly attacked by them and was killed, together with a number of his followers.
- Whichever Mr. Yates did not chuse would perfectly satisfy him, and a short parley of compliment ensued.
- It was well known that not only the capital and the neighboring counties but all eastern England was ablaze, and the council in despair sent out the young king to parley with Tyler at Mile End.Advertisement
- Caesar at once marched to meet them, and, on the pre text that they had violated a truce, seized their leaders who had come to parley with him, and then surprised and practically destroyed their host.
- Richard then led the mob to a neighbouring meadow, where he kept them in parley till Walworth, who had returned within the city to summon the loyal citizens to the king's aid, returned with a sufficient following to overawe and disperse the rebels.
- After a long parley, in which a truce of two days was even said to have been agreed on, the Scottish earl of March, fighting on the royal side, forced on the battle in the afternoon, the royal right being commanded by the prince of 1 The dissatisfaction of the Percys seems to have been chiefly due to the money question.