Parish-church sentence example

parish-church
  • The site of the church of St Peter has long been occupied by a parish church (there was one in the 12th century, if not earlier), but the existing building dates only from 1870.
    0
    0
  • Under the influence of Archbishop Chicheley, who had himself founded two colleges in imitation of Wykeham, and Thomas Bekynton, king's secretary and privy seal, and other Wyke - hamists, Henry VI., on the 11th of October 1440, founded, in imitation of Winchester College, "a college in the parish church of Eton by Windsor not far from our birthplace," called the King's College of the Blessed Mary of Eton by Windsor, as "a sort of first-fruits of his taking the government on himself."
    0
    0
  • The parish church of Greenwich, in Church Street, is dedicated to St Alphege, archbishop, who was martyred here by the Danes in 1012.
    0
    0
  • There are numerous modern churches and chapels, many of them very handsome; and the former parish church of St Nicholas remains, a Decorated structure containing a Norman font and a memorial to the great duke of Wellington.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Mary Magdalene was rebuilt, in 1726-1729, near the site of the old one dating from before the 12th century.
    0
    0
    Advertisement
  • of Chipping Barnet, has an ancient parish church retaining Norman portions, though enlarged in modern times.
    0
    0
  • A stone bridge over the Wye connects the town with the village and parish church of Cwmdauddwr.
    0
    0
  • When the port of Boston was closed by Great Britain in 1774 the bell of the old First Parish Church (Unitarian) of Portland (built 1740; the present building dates from 1825) was muffled and rung from morning till night, and in other ways the town showed its sympathy for the patriot cause.
    0
    0
  • The present parish church belonged to an abbey founded in 837 by St Bernard, bishop of Vienne.
    0
    0
  • Meetings in connexion with the adoption and promulgation of the Covenant were held in the old parish church of Beath.
    0
    0
    Advertisement
  • But his infirmities were increasing, and while making preparations for his resignation, he died on the 6th of July 1583 and was buried in Croydon parish church.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of All Hallows adjoined the abbey church on the west, but was taken down after the Dissolution, when the abbey church was sold to the parish.
    0
    0
  • The present parish church of St Giles in the Fields, between Shaftesbury Avenue and New Oxford Street, dates from 1734, but here was situated a leper's hospital founded by Matilda, wife of Henry I., in i ioi.
    0
    0
  • Its chapel became the parish church on the suppression of the monasteries.
    0
    0
  • The priory church, now the parish church of the suburb of Monkton, contains monuments of the families of Meyrick of Bush and Owen of Orielton.
    0
    0
    Advertisement
  • The parish church of St.
    0
    0
  • The large parish church of St Teilo has a low embattled Perpendicular tower.
    0
    0
  • r601), which was removed from the old parish church of Greenwich when that was demolished.
    0
    0
  • Among the notable public buildings are the old parish church built at the expense of Charles II.
    0
    0
  • St Saviour's parish church of Tor-Mohun, or Tormoham, an ancient stone structure, was restored in 1874.
    0
    0
    Advertisement
  • The parish church of St George, occupying the site of an older structure of the same name, destroyed by fire in 1853, was finished in 1858 under the direction of Sir G.
    0
    0
  • Among many places of worship may be mentioned the restored parish church of Holy Trinity, which dates from the 12th century and contains some interesting monuments and brasses; and the Perpendicular Hermitage or Tory chapel, with a 15th or 16th century chantry-house.
    0
    0
  • sacristan) being merely the title which he bore as an official of the great parish church of Haarlem.
    0
    0
  • Though it retains some old houses, and the parish church dates from 1639, Elie is, as a whole, quite modern and is one of the most popular resorts in the county on account of its fine golf links and excellent bathing.
    0
    0
  • A well-preserved gateway of red sandstone and portions of two towers of the castle are included in the buildings of the present gaol, and the old parish church of St Peter contains some interesting monuments, amongst them being the altar tomb (of the 6th century) of Sir Rhys ap Thomas, K.G., and his wife, which was removed hither for safety at the Reformation from the desecrated church of the neighbouring Priory of St John.
    0
    0
    Advertisement
  • The parish church contains the tombs of the Forresters, of old the leading family of the district, with full-length sculptured figures, and at the base of Corstorphine Hill - from one point of which (" Rest and be Thankful ") is to be had one of the best views of Edinburgh - are the seats of several well-known families.
    0
    0
  • Liberton (pop. of parish, 7 2 33), a name that recalls the previous existence of a leper's hospital, is prominently situated on the rising ground to the south of Edinburgh, the parish church being a conspicuous landmark.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Giles is believed to have been erected in the reign of Alexander I., about 1110, and the huge Norman keep of the castle, built by his younger brother, David I., continued to be known as David's Tower till its destruction in the siege of 1572.
    0
    0
  • The parish church (1769) has some columns of an earlier building, interesting brasses and strong embattled tower.
    0
    0
  • It is still surrounded in part by the ruins of its ancient walls, but, with the exception of the parish church of St John (15th century), there are no buildings worthy of special notice.
    0
    0
    Advertisement
  • On this cliff also stands the parish church of St Mary and St Eanswith, a cruciform building of much interest, with central tower.
    0
    0
  • A magnificent Gothic parish church was destroyed by fire and gunpowder in 1790 to make way for a building of little merit in Italian style.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Mary is Perpendicular, with a fine carved roof of the 17th century.
    0
    0
  • On Sunday morning the iith of October, just after his return, whilst on a visit to Mr Gladstone, he died in Hawarden parish church of heart failure.
    0
    0
  • Its principal buildings are the fine Renaissance parish church and the fortress-like 17th-century town hall.
    0
    0
    Advertisement
  • The chapel was used as the parish church of St Mary-le-Strand (1564-1717) and constituted a Chapel Royal in 1773; but there are no remains of the rest of the foundation.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of which we have the most authentic notice before the Conquest is St Helen's, Bishopsgate.
    0
    0
  • The principal buildings are the parish church of St Thomas (restored 1874), the church of St David (r866), a Roman Catholic church, and Baptist, Calvinistic, Methodist, Congregational and Wesleyan chapels; the intermediate and technical schools (1895), Davies's endowed (elementary) school (1789), the Gwyn Hall (1888), the town hall, with corn exchange in the basement storey, and the market-house.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Martin's is a handsome edifice rebuilt in 1873.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of Egloshayle, nearly 2 m.
    0
    0
    Advertisement
  • The choir is used as the parish church.
    0
    0
  • It has a cathedral, St Michael's, which also serves as a parish church.
    0
    0
  • In the old parish church was traditionally Owen's pew; his knife, fork and dagger, are at the neighbouring Rig (Rhig); his palace, 3 m.
    0
    0
  • There are two interesting old burying-grounds: one on Grove Street, near the Cambridge line, first used in 1642, contains a monument to John Coolidge, killed during the British retreat from Concord and Lexington on the 19th of April 1775; the other is near the centre of the village about the former site of the First Parish Church.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of Au, in the Early Gothic style, contains gigantic stained-glass windows and some excellent wood-carving; and the church of St John in Haidhausen is another fine Gothic structure.
    0
    0
    Advertisement
  • The parish church of Santa Maria has some good pictures and wood carvings.
    0
    0
  • The parish church dates from 1626.
    0
    0
  • The principal buildings are the parish church of St Andrew (dating from the time of Henry I., modernized in 1710, rebuilt with the exception of the tower in 1805, and again rebuilt in 1878), and the handsome Gothic mechanics' institute and technical school (1870).
    0
    0
  • It has an evangelical and four Roman Catholic churches, among the latter the handsome parish church dating from the 15th century, and various educational establishments.
    0
    0
  • They were both buried in the parish church at Battersea, where a monument with medallions and inscriptions composed by Bolingbroke was erected to their memory.
    0
    0
    Advertisement
  • The principal buildings are the Roman Catholic church, which is the pro-cathedral of the diocese of Killaloe; the parish church formed out of the ruins of the Franciscan Abbey, founded in 1240 by Donough Carbrac O'Brien; a school on the foundation of Erasmus Smith, and various county buildings.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St John the Baptist, with its fine tower and spire, was built about the close of the 14th century, and, though largely restored, has a beautiful chancel, Lady chapel and baptistery.
    0
    0
  • Bowden, to the south of the hills, was the birthplace of the poets Thomas Aird (1802-1876) and James Thomson, and its parish church contains the burial-place of the dukes of Roxburghe.
    0
    0
  • At this place is the traditional mansion of the family, and in the parish church the family altar with the family arms (Christian Life, 29th Sept.
    0
    0
  • The Evangelical parish church contains some fine statues by Christian Rauch, and the palace (built 1710-1720), in addition to a valuable library of 30,000 vols., a collection of coins and pictures, among the latter several by Angelica Kauffmann.
    0
    0
  • The old parish church of St Ulrich is a good example of the Transition style of the 13th century, and contains a valuable antiquarian collection.
    0
    0
  • The building was used as the parish church till 1815, when it fell into disrepair, but it was restored between 1871 and 1876.
    0
    0
  • The chancel, nave and two side chapels exist, and it still serves as the parish church.
    0
    0
  • The church of St Mary, the ancient parish church of East Bourne, is a fine transitional Norman building; and there are numerous modern churches and chapels.
    0
    0
  • The parish church is ancient, and above it are the ruins of the medieval castle of Resti.
    0
    0
  • To this end a copy of the whole English Bible was to be set up in each parish church where the people could read it.
    0
    0
  • The cruciform parish church of St Marcelliana stands on a high cliff, west of the castle.
    0
    0
  • In 1563 a second Book of Homilies was submitted along with the 39 Articles to convocation; it was issued the same year under the title The second Tome of Homilies of such matters as were promised and instituted in the former part of Homilies, set out by the authority of the Queen's Majesty, and to be read in every Parish Church agreeably.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Mary is Early English and Perpendicular, with a small octagonal tower, but has been largely restored in modern times.
    0
    0
  • St Ternan's, the Romanesque parish church of Arbuthnott, 22 m.
    0
    0
  • Its only notable building is the Early English parish church of St Michael and All Angels.
    0
    0
  • Besides the small old parish churches of MerthyrDovan and Cadoxton, and the rebuilt parish church of Barry, there are four modern churches (in one of which Welsh services are held).
    0
    0
  • 30 a " conventicle " type of Christian fellowship, supplementary to attendance at the parish church.
    0
    0
  • parochial limits, by accustoming the more godly sort to feel an inner bond peculiar to themselves, prepared many for the congregational idea of the church, and on the other hand made them feel more than ever dissatisfied with the " mixed " services ' of the parish church.
    0
    0
  • 573), to whom the present parish church is dedicated.
    0
    0
  • It is bordered by old houses, among which is one built by Bertrand du Guesclin in 1366, and contains a parish church of the 15th century.
    0
    0
  • Frequent references to the parish church of Stoke are found during the 14th and 15th centuries.
    0
    0
  • In Church Street is the ancient parish church of St Mary, largely restored, but still bearing the stamp of antiquity; opposite to it stands a new church in Decorated style by Sir Gilbert Scott.
    0
    0
  • Besides the parish church of St Mary Magdalene, a fine and massive Perpendicular building with an ancient pulpit of carved stone, there are a guildhall and market house.
    0
    0
  • The parish church dates from 1098.
    0
    0
  • The lower portion of the massive tower of the parish church (Protestant) dates from the rlth century or even earlier.
    0
    0
  • The parish church is 1 m.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Mary, Hornsey, retains its Perpendicular tower (c. 1500) and a number of interesting monuments.
    0
    0
  • The parish church was begun by Wallenstein after the model of the pilgrims' church of Santiago de Compostela in Spain, but not completed till 1655.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of All Saints was for the most part rebuilt in the latter half of the 18th century; the portions still preserved of the original structure are mainly Early English.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of All Saints, occupying the site of a building dating from Anglo-Saxon times, was erected in the reign of Edward IV., and is among the best specimens of Perpendicular in the north of England.
    0
    0
  • The parish church (dedicated to St John the Baptist) has a pre-Reformation stone altar and an ancient carved stone pulpit, said to be the only relic of an earlier church now covered by the sea.
    0
    0
  • Prato is said to be first mentioned by name in 1107, but the cathedral appears as early as 1048 as the parish church of Borgo Cornio or Santo Stefano.
    0
    0
  • The younger Teniers lived and died at a farm outside Vilvorde, and is buried in the parish church of Dry Toren.
    0
    0
  • It is an old town still partly surrounded by medieval walls, and its most noteworthy buildings are the Roman Catholic parish church (12th and 13th centuries); the Carmelite church (1318), the former castle, now used for administrative offices; the Evangelical church (1851, enlarged in 1887); and the former Benedictine monastery of the Marienberg, founded 1123 and since 1839 a hydropathic establishment, crowning a hill Too ft.
    0
    0
  • The choir of the old Gothic church of 1398 (restored at the end of the 19th century) forms a portion of the parish church.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Peter is Perpendicular, dating from 1485, and occupies the site of a Norman church.
    0
    0
  • The poet Paul Gerhardt (1607-1676) was pastor here and is buried in the parish church.
    0
    0
  • The Priory church of St John, a massive cruciform building, originally Norman with Early English and Decorated additions, is the finest parish church in Wales, and even taking into account the cathedrals it is according to E.
    0
    0
  • There were also three submanors, one given by the first Aubrey de Vere early in the 12th century to the Abbot of Abingdon, whence the present parish church is called St Mary Abbots; while in another, Knotting Barnes, the origin of the name Notting Hill is found.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Mary Abbots, High Street, occupies an ancient site, but was built from the designs of Sir Gilbert Scott in 1869.
    0
    0
  • The parish church stands near the spire of the ancient church where, according to tradition, the treaty was made in 1297 with Edward I., by which Sir John Menteith undertook to betray Wallace to the English.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Martin contains several monuments and an ancient stone altar bearing a Latin inscription.
    0
    0
  • It has a stately modern parish church (attached to a Gothic choir), a small but very ancient chapel of the abbots of St Gall (whose summer residence was this village), and two Capuchin convents (one for men, founded in 1588, and one for women, founded in 1613).
    0
    0
  • The parish church is a Gothic edifice of the 14th century, with fine cloisters; and the Lusric château, once belonging to the family of Rosenberg, and now to Prince Schwarzenberg, dating from the 15th century, is reputed to contain the most extensive and valuable archives in Bohemia.
    0
    0
  • After twentyfour years of suffering for his conscience he died in prison and was buried in an unknown grave in the parish church at Wisbeach on the 16th of October 1584.
    0
    0
  • In 1886 he removed to Edinburgh, where he became minister of St Bernard's Parish Church.
    0
    0
  • It contains a handsome parish church dedicated to St Martin, a town hall and a castle (Wildeck), built by the Emperor Henry I.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St John (1747) has several monuments of eminent persons.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Mary is a fine Decorated building, containing monuments of the L'Estrange family, whose mansion, Hunstanton Hall, is a picturesque Tudor building of brick in a well-wooded park.
    0
    0
  • It possesses a castle, with natural history and antiquarian collections, and a parish church (restored 1891), with the mausoleum (1892) of the reigning princes.
    0
    0
  • The ancient parish church of St Mary Magdalen retains Norman work in the chancel, which terminates in an eastern apse.
    0
    0
  • The parish church dates from 1818, but there are remains of an earlier building adjoining it.
    0
    0
  • Among the principal buildings and institutions are several churches, of which the oldest, the parish church of St Mary, was built in 1821 on an early site; court house, public hall, institute and free library.
    0
    0
  • - Cope Morse (German, Early 14th Century), In The Parish Church At Elten.
    0
    0
  • high, and appropriated since 1585 as a parish church for the German residents in Copenhagen.
    0
    0
  • Its appearance is almost wholly modern, but there is a fine old parish church dedicated to St Cuthbert.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of All Saints, well placed above the river, is a fine Early English and Decorated building, with Perpendicular additions.
    0
    0
  • The nave, in the Transitional and Decorated styles, with a rich midPointed triforium of broad round arches, has been restored, and used as the parish church since 1862.
    0
    0
  • From 1883 to 1889 he was a student of the Inner Temple, but abandoned law for the church and was ordained curate of Leeds parish church in 1890.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Symphorian, Forrabury, also stands high, overlooking the Atlantic from Willapark Point.
    0
    0
  • The building remained till 1784, when it was nearly demolished to provide stones for a new parish church.
    0
    0
  • Besides the parish church there is a Roman Catholic priory and church.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Multose is an ancient but inelegant structure, said to have been founded as a conventual church in the 12th century by the saint to whom it is dedicated.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Nicholas, an antiquated cruciform structure with curious Elizabethan work in the north transept, and monuments of the Chichester family, was originally a chapel or oratory dependent on a Franciscan monastery.
    0
    0
  • Of this structure the only remains are the western tower and the choir, which, greatly altered as well as repaired early in the 19th century, now forms the parish church.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Martin, which stands 1 m.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Mary is an ancient cruciform edifice surmounted by a lofty tower; but extensive restoration was necessitated by a fire in 1854 which destroyed a considerable part of the town.
    0
    0
  • There is a Roman Catholic diocesan college and the Protestant parish church is also in Ardnaree.
    0
    0
  • The (Roman Catholic) parish church is remarkable for a gate (Rdmertor) with grotesque sculptures of animals, dating from the 12th century.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Paul was founded in 685, and retains portions of pre-Norman work.
    0
    0
  • The monument erected to his memory in the parish church of Gunning Hill, Berks, bears a fine inscription by Canning.
    0
    0
  • The adaptation of part of the nave to the purposes of a parish church and the use of the building as a quarry did further damage.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Lawrence is a cruciform Perpendicular building, with a lofty central tower, and a noteworthy east window, its 15th-century glass showing the martyrdom of St Lawrence.
    0
    0
  • The parish church was built in 1673 by the earl of Lauderdale, in exchange for the older edifice, the site of which was required for the enlargement of Thirlestane castle, which, originally a fortress, was then remodelled for a residence.
    0
    0
  • The chief buildings are the Carmelite Priory (ruins dating perhaps from the 13th century); a Bluecoat school (1514); a free grammar school (1527); an orphan girl school (funds left by Thomas Howel to the Drapers' Co., in Henry VII.'s reign); the town hall (built in 1572 by Robert Dudley, earl of Leicester, enlarged and restored in 1780); an unfinished church (begun by Leicester); a market hall (with arcades or "rows," such as those of Chester or Yarmouth); and the old parish church of St Marcella.
    0
    0
  • Some of the older houses, however, as well as the parish church and the convent of San Francisco, which still has well-defined Roman inscriptions on its walls, are built of stone from the ruins of Begastri, a Roman colony which stood on a small adjacent hill known as the Cabecico de Roenas.
    0
    0
  • The oldest church in Pest is the parish church situated in the Eskii-Ter (Schwur-Platz) in the inner town; it was built in 1500, in the Gothic style, and restored in 1890.
    0
    0
  • The remains of another fortress and palace are preserved at Pomallacta, and in the neighbouring pueblo of Achupallas an ancient temple of the sun now serves as parish church.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of Crathie (1903), replacing the kirk of 1806, is 12 m.
    0
    0
  • Blackburn is of considerable antiquity; indeed, the 6th century is allocated to the original foundation of a church on the site of the present parish church.
    0
    0
  • In 1562 an act of parliament had made provision for translating the Bible into Welsh, and the New Testament was issued in 1567; but the number printed would barely supply a copy for each parish church.
    0
    0
  • Thus in France the cure or head priest in a parish church is assisted by several vicaires.
    0
    0
  • Jesus in the painted window of Mansfeld church, stern of face, sword in hand, sitting on a rainbow, coming to judge; an altarpiece at Magdeburg, in which a ship with its crew was sailing on to heaven, carrying no layman on board; the deeds of St Elizabeth emblazoned on the window of St George's parish church at Eisenach; the living pictures of a young nobleman who had turned monk to save his soul, of a monk, the holiest man Luther had ever known, who was aged far beyond his years by his maceration; and many others of the same kind.
    0
    0
  • There may further be mentioned the remnant of the Saxon collegiate church of the canons of St Martin, and the parish church of St Mary the Virgin.
    0
    0
  • The freedom with which he fraternized with his Protestant neighbours called forth the rebuke of his bishop (George Hay), and ultimately, for hunting and for occasionally attending the parish church of Cullen, where one of his friends was minister, he was deprived of his charge and forbidden the exercise of ecclesiastical functions within the diocese.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Stephen is Early English, and later, with a Perpendicular tower.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Benedict dates from 1451, but was restored in 1775 - it has some fine 15th-century painted glass in the choir.
    0
    0
  • The chief buildings are a half-ruined citadel, a modern parish church with a pillared Corinthian façade, and a town hall standing: in a fine arcaded square.
    0
    0
  • Viewed from the river it makes a somewhat gloomy, though picturesque, impression, with its parish church (a basilica dating from the 12th century, with four towers), the round watch-tower on the Rhine, old walls in places 15 ft.
    0
    0
  • Solsona, on a small tributary of the Cardoner, which flows through Barcelona to the Mediterranean, is the Setelix of the Romans, and contains in its parish church an image of the Virgin said to possess miraculous powers, and visited every year by many hundreds of pilgrims. Cervera, on a small river of the same name, contains the buildings of a university which Philip V.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of Holy Trinity, close to the ruins, is of mixed styles from Norman onwards.
    0
    0
  • Adjoining the abbey is the parish church of St Nicholas, restored in 1865, a structure of mixed architecture, containing a fine Norman doorway, which is supposed to have been the entrance of the former abbey church.
    0
    0
  • Of its edifices the most remarkable are the Roman Catholic parish church of St Martin, known also as the Munster, dating from the 13th and 14th centuries, the Lutheran parish church (15th century), the former Dominican monastery (1232-1289), known as "Unterlinden" and now used as a museum, the Kaufhaus (trade-hall) of the 15th century, and the handsome government offices (formerly the Prefecture).
    0
    0
  • The modern church of St John the Baptist replaces the old parish church of All Saints in the village of Epping Upland 2 m.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of All Saints, 'between the bridge and the grounds, was erected in 1881 from designs by Sir Arthur Blomfield.
    0
    0
  • The Elizabethan manor-house of Southall remains, and the parish church of Norwood, though greatly restored, has Early English and Decorated portions, a canopied tomb dated 1547 and brasses of the 17th century.
    0
    0
  • A little below the abbey is the parish church of St Mary, originally Norman, and retaining traces of the first building; owing to a variety of alterations at different periods, and the erection of high wooden pews and galleries, its appearance is more remarkable than beautiful.
    0
    0
  • expected; and during the earlier years of Elizabeth's reign most of them continued to attend at their parish church.
    0
    0
  • ' A recusant signified a person who refused duly to attend his parish church.
    0
    0
  • The Gothic parish church (c. 1400) incorporates remains of a cathedral of vast dimensions.
    0
    0
  • It has a handsome parish church and is the seat of a Greek Orthodox bishop. Versecz is one of the principal wineproducing centres in Hungary, and the red wines and brandy produced here enjoy a great reputation.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Mary and St Cuthbert is an interesting building, formerly collegiate, with a tower 156 ft.
    0
    0
  • The church of St Augustine is modern; of the parish church of the 14th century only the tower and chancel remain.
    0
    0
  • On the left bank are the parish church (15th and 16th centuries), remains of the medieval fortifications, and the keep of a castle of the counts of Toulouse.
    0
    0
  • The parish church is of historical interest, most of the building dating from the Reformation.
    0
    0
  • It possesses an old town hall dating from 1566, a hospital, a lunatic asylum, an orphanage, and a large parish church rebuilt in 1756; but the chief interest centres in the church of the Holy Sepulchre, built in 1337, which attracts thousands of pilgrims to its Porta Caeli or Gaadenpforte (Gate of Mercy) opened annually on Michaelmas eve and closed again on the 4th of October.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Mary was entirely rebuilt in 1895-1898.
    0
    0
  • The parish church is in Gothic style and was built in 1443-1522.
    0
    0
  • Near Albert Harbour stands the old west now the north parish church (a Gothic edifice dating from 1591) containing some stained-glass windows by William Morris; in its kirkyard Burns's "Highland Mary" was buried (1786).
    0
    0
  • The west parish church in Nicholson Street (1839) is in the Italian Renaissance style and has a campanile.
    0
    0
  • The middle parish church (1759) in Cathcart Square is in the Classic style with a fine spire.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of S.
    0
    0
  • Massillon (1663-1742), the famous pulpit orator, was born; the parish church of St Louis, built originally in the 13th century by the Cordelier or Franciscan friars, but completely restored in the earlier part of the 19th century; and the site of the old château, on the summit of the hill, now occupied by a villa.
    0
    0
  • At first he preached in the parish church of St John, but this soon growing too small for him he addressed the people in the market-place from the church tower.
    0
    0
  • Lord Keith died on the 10th of March 1823 at Tullyallan, his property in Scotland, and was buried in the parish church.
    0
    0
  • The height of the parish church above the sea-level is 3468 ft.
    0
    0
  • The village of Tegernsee (pop. 1742 in 1905), on the east bank, has a parish church dating from the 15th century, a ducal castle which was formerly a Benedictine monastery, and a hospital, founded in connexion with the large ophthalmic practice of the late Duke Charles Theodore of Bavaria.
    0
    0
  • Near the parish church of St Peter stands an ancient cross of granite, discovered in a field close by.
    0
    0
  • St Peter's parish church occupies an ancient site, and preserves a very early cross from the former building.
    0
    0
  • The old castle contains a collection of historical paintings and archives, and there are several old churches, of which that of St Lawrence is mentioned as the parish church in 1350.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St James is a fine Perpendicular building, with a lofty spire, and a beautiful open-work roof over the nave.
    0
    0
  • An Early English crypt remains beneath the neighbouring parish church of St John, where the notorious deception of the "Cock Lane Ghost," in which Johnson took great interest, was exposed.
    0
    0
  • bank are the suburbs of Cartlet and Prendergast, the latter of which contains the ancient parish church of St David and the ruins of a large mansion originally built by Maurice de Prendergast (12th century) and subsequently the seat of the Stepney family.
    0
    0
  • On the north side of the Abbey, close beside it, is the parish church of St Margaret.
    0
    0
  • At the head of the army she rode clothed in a coat of mail, armed with an ancient sword, said to be that with which Charles Martel had vanquished the Saracens, the hiding-place of which, under the altar of the parish church of the village of Ste Catherine de Fierbois, the " voices " had revealed to her; she carried a white standard of her own design embroidered with lilies, and having on the one side the image of God seated on the clouds and holding the world in His hand, and on the other a representation of the Annunciation.
    0
    0
  • It possesses a new Kurhaus, fifteen bathing-establishments, a parish church in late Gothic style, and a town-hall, which contains interesting archives.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Dunstan, Stepney, is a perpendicular building, much restored, containing many monuments and curious inscriptions.
    0
    0
  • The church suffered severely at the Reformation, but is still used as the parish church.
    0
    0
  • St Mary's in Kirkgate, the parish church of South Leith, was founded in 1483, and was originally cruciform but, as restored in 1852, consists of an aisled nave and north-western tower.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of North Leith, in Madeira Street, with a spire 158 ft.
    0
    0
  • The remains of the old church, originally erected in 1244, contain good Perpendicular work, and the family vault of the Londonderrys; there are also the parish church and Presbyterian church, with lofty spires, and a Roman Catholic chapel.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Peter, however, though rebuilt in 1837, occupies a site which is believed to have carried a church since the 11th century.
    0
    0
  • Neutitschein was in 1790 the headquarters of the Austrian field-marshal Loudon, who died here in the same year and is buried in the parish church.
    0
    0
  • For twenty five years after the Reformation it was used as the parish church and afterwards by the Episcopalians, until they obtained a chapel of their own in 1822.
    0
    0
  • The parish church is 200 ft.
    0
    0
  • When the Reformers attacked the abbey church in March 1560, they spared the nave, which served as the parish church till the 19th century, and now forms the vestibule of the New church.
    0
    0
  • An older parish church was replaced by that of All Saints in 1830; there is also a very fine Roman Catholic church.
    0
    0
  • Among the more noteworthy buildings are the parish church of St iEgidius (1709), with a tower 298 ft.
    0
    0
  • The principal building is the parish church of St Martin, a good example of modern Gothic, the interior of which contains some fine sculptures by Flaxman and Chantrey.
    0
    0
  • His grave is on the south side of the parish church of High Laver, in which he often worshipped, near the tombs of the Mashams, and of Damaris, the widow of Cudworth.
    0
    0
  • The castle in which the senate sat was also the residence for a period of Archbishop Spottiswood, who founded the parish church in 1621.
    0
    0
  • 1245), the last Scot enrolled in the Calendar of Scottish saints, was damaged by fire in 1570, during the raid of the Master of Caithness and Mackay of Strathnaver, and afterwards neglected till 1837, when it was restored by the 2nd duke of Sutherland, and has since been used as the parish church.
    0
    0
  • The parish church dates from 1570, but has been much altered, and the spire was added in 1831.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Leonard, dating as it stands mainly from 1827, is on the site of a building of the 13th century.
    0
    0
  • The modernized parish church of St Peter, or Pedr, contains some old monuments of the Lloyd family.
    0
    0
  • In 1598 he was translated to the parish church of the Upper Tolbooth, Edinburgh, and immediately thereafter to that of the Grey Friars (then known as the Magdalen Church).
    0
    0
  • Few of the buildings of Gijon are noteworthy for any architectural merit, except perhaps the 15th-century parish church of San Pedro, which has a triple row of aisles on each side, the palace of the marquesses of Revillajigedo (or Revilla Gigedo), and the Asturian Institute or Jovellanos Institute.
    0
    0
  • Pop. (1900) 3949 It has a large parish church and two convents.
    0
    0
  • In the chancel of the parish church of St Mary, a building ranging from Transitional Norman to Perpendicular, is buried Lord Howard, the commander of the English navy against the Spanish Armada.
    0
    0
  • As the community grew, and its mission work extended, the need of having a church entirely its own, and not subject to other claims, as were San Girolamo and San Giovanni, made itself felt, and the offer of the small parish church of Santa Maria in Vallicella, conveniently situated in the middle of Rome, was made and accepted.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St John the Baptist appears to have been built in the 14th and 5th centuries, but to have contained remains of an older building.
    0
    0
  • The 18th-century parish church and the 15th-century castle rise in a striking fashion above the town, in the chief street of which are arcades (locally called Lauben) as in Bern.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Mary, situated at the northern end of Tudor Square, the principal open space in the town, is one of the largest churches in South Wales, and exhibits all varieties of architecture from the 12th to the 16th centuries.
    0
    0
  • The old-fashioned town contains the fine parish church of St Andrew, dating chiefly from the 15th century, and an interesting old inn, the "Radnorshire Arms," once the residence of the Bradshaw family in the 17th century.
    0
    0
  • There are a Protestant and three Roman Catholic churches, among the latter the parish church with a crypt dating from the 11th century, and a medieval town hall.
    0
    0
  • Remember, Elgar's parish church had been built only shortly after the early 19th century restoration of the catholic hierarchy in England.
    0
    0
  • abbey ruins stands the partly Norman parish church of St Mary.
    0
    0
  • Anglican parish church.
    0
    0
  • It was the only parish church by Wren to have an apse, which was joined to the main body by a quadrant bay.
    0
    0
  • Jesmond Parish Church has asked the archbishop of York for an alternative.
    0
    0
  • assistant curate at St John the Baptist Parish Church Kirkheaton, Huddersfield from 1967 to 1971.
    0
    0
  • Glebe land is usually regarded as land belonging to either a parish church or an ecclesiastical benefice of some kind.
    0
    0
  • In particular, the place of reservation of the Blessed Sacrament became more clearly central in the parish Church.
    0
    0
  • chancel of the parish church of Berkeley.
    0
    0
  • chantry of one priest in the chapel of St. Katherine in the parish church of North Mimms.
    0
    0
  • Question 11: In which decade was the parish church built?
    0
    0
  • churchwardens of each parish church to maintain registers of all baptisms, marriages and burials performed.
    0
    0
  • He then took the curacy of the Parish Church at Cheltenham under the Reverend Francis Close, afterward Dean of Carlisle.
    0
    0
  • disengagepan>currently disengaging myself from my parish church.
    0
    0
  • The blue male griffin has connections with a local legend concerning the Bold family, which once had strong associations with Farnworth Parish Church.
    0
    0
  • Leven Parish Church - The replacement for the ancient kirk in Scoonie Cemetery stands close to the town center in Durie Street.
    0
    0
  • lofty spire of Foxearth parish church.
    0
    0
  • At the age of 24 he married Mary Bellwood at Acomb parish church in York.
    0
    0
  • Pray for Wisdom and Guidance for the Vacancy Committee in Northfield Parish Church as they look to appoint a new minister.
    0
    0
  • The Fairlie Parish Church has a plaque commemorating the pilot Alan Boyle, who flew the first British monoplane in 1909.
    0
    0
  • patronage of the parish church of Dumbarton, 358, 359.
    0
    0
  • The property was the former rectory to North Walsham Parish Church.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of Hackney was a sinecure rectory, (fn.
    0
    0
  • OTHER ACTIVITIES Snow shoeing, dog sledding, scenic walks, torchlight walks and classical concerts in the parish church.
    0
    0
  • south porch of our Cirencester Parish Church.
    0
    0
  • Perhaps the worst result of the storm locally was the destruction of the lofty spire of Foxearth parish church.
    0
    0
  • steeple of the parish church the flames of no fewer than fifty blast furnaces may be seen.
    0
    0
  • tithing system by all local residents to their parish church was only abolished by Parliament in Victorian times.
    0
    0
  • Newark Parish Church has again been targeted by Vandals.
    0
    0
  • wed 28th Wednesday Lunchtime Concert at Windsor Parish Church of St John the Baptist, High Street, Windsor.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Mary, Church Road (1776), preserves from an earlier building stained glass and monuments, including one to Henry St John, Viscount Bolingbroke (d.
    0
    0
  • The parish church is an interesting Gothic edifice of the 15th century.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Hilda, standing on an eminence above the sea, is late Norman and Early English, with a massive tower, heavily buttressed.
    0
    0
  • Bull-fights were formerly held in the main plaza, where galleries to accommodate spectators were built between the buttresses of an ancient parish church.
    0
    0
  • The parish church is a Gothic edifice of the 14th century, with fine cloisters; and the Lusric château, once belonging to the family of Rosenberg, and now to Prince Schwarzenberg, dating from the 15th century, is reputed to contain the most extensive and valuable archives in Bohemia.
    0
    0
  • The chief buildings are a half-ruined citadel, a modern parish church with a pillared Corinthian façade, and a town hall standing: in a fine arcaded square.
    0
    0
  • Skelmorlie Aisle, the sole relic of the old parish church of St Columba, was converted into a mausoleum in 1636.
    0
    0
  • Massillon (1663-1742), the famous pulpit orator, was born; the parish church of St Louis, built originally in the 13th century by the Cordelier or Franciscan friars, but completely restored in the earlier part of the 19th century; and the site of the old château, on the summit of the hill, now occupied by a villa.
    0
    0
  • (See Charterhouse.) Godalming has manufactures of paper, leather, parchment and hosiery, and some trade in corn, malt, bark, hoops and timber; and the Bargate stone, of which the parish church is built, is still quarried.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of St Leonard, Streatham, contains among its memorials that of Henry Thrale (d.
    0
    0
  • The property was the former Rectory to North Walsham Parish Church.
    0
    0
  • The parish church of Hackney was a sinecure rectory, ( fn.
    0
    0
  • The parish church is the burial place of Billy Bray, the revivalist preacher.
    0
    0
  • At the top of Baker Street is the Parish Church and the ruins of the Priory.
    0
    0
  • These gates are very like the 200-year-old gates of the south porch of our Cirencester Parish Church.
    0
    0
  • From the steeple of the parish church the flames of no fewer than fifty blast furnaces may be seen.
    0
    0
  • A Passover Supper was held in the Parish Church on Maunday Thursday for Christians Together in Street.
    0
    0
  • The tithing system by all local residents to their parish church was only abolished by Parliament in Victorian times.
    0
    0
  • Newark Parish Church has again been targeted by vandals.
    0
    0
  • Wed 28th Wednesday Lunchtime Concert at Windsor Parish Church of St John the Baptist, High Street, Windsor.
    0
    0