Parian sentence example
- The temple is entirely of Pentelic marble, except the foundations and lowest step of the stylobate, which are of Peiraic stone, and the zophoros of the cella, which is in Parian marble.
- In 1900 the French school at Athens recovered more fragments of sculpture, including a head of Heracles and the torso and possibly the head of Atalanta, these last two of Parian marble.
- In a war which the Parian colonists waged with the Saians, a Thracian tribe, the poet Archilochus threw away his shield.
- Parian marble, which is white and semi-transparent, with a coarse grain and a very beautiful texture, was the chief source of wealth to the island.
- Paros also sided with Xerxes against Greece, but after the battle of Artemisium the Parian contingent remained in Cythnos watching the progress of events (Herod.Advertisement
- Among the most interesting discoveries made in the island is the Parian Chronicle.
- For the Parian Chronicle, Inscriptiones graecae, xii.
- DAMAN-E-KOH,SHAKAR PARIAN AND RAWAL DAM ARE FAMOUS SIGHTES OF THE CITY.--ASIFALIBHAYO 10:15, 22 Jan 2007 (PST)
- I'll not build a temple of Parian marble for you, Germanicus: my ruin stripped me of my wealth.
- Other collectors use the terms china, parian and bisque when referring to the different types of dolls.Advertisement
- Parian doll heads are white with a matte finish.
- First made in England, parian head dolls were quickly copied in Germany.
- The German manufacturers realized they could get a higher degree of detail working with parian then with glazed porcelain.
- China, Parian and Bisque Greman Dolls:Ca. 1840-Ca. 1900 by Lydia Ritcher contains valuable information and many unusual and beautiful photographs of these exquisite antiques.
- Herodotus further states that Pheidon established a system of weights and measures throughout Peloponnesus, to which Ephorus and the Parian Chronicle add that he was the first to coin silver money, and that his mint was at Aegina.Advertisement