Paraboloid sentence example
- A rotifer may be regarded as typically a hemisphere or half an oblate spheroid or paraboloid with a mouth somewhere on the flat end ("disk" or "corona"), which bears a usually double ciliated ring, the outer zone the "cingulum," and inner the "trochus".
- Foucault invented in 1857 the polarizer which bears his name, and in the succeeding year devised a method of giving to the speculum of reflecting telescopes the form of a spheroid or a paraboloid of revolution.
- The surface of the large mirror should be a paraboloid of revolution, that of the small mirror a true optical plane.
- If we project both polyhedra orthogonally on a plane perpendicular to the axis of the paraboloid, we obtain two figures which are reciprocal, except that corresponding lines are orthogonal instead of parallel.
- Another form of the paraboloid condenser, also due to Wenham, has a plane surface on the upper side.Advertisement
- The classical Cassegrain In the classical Cassegrain telescope, the primary mirror is paraboloid shaped.
- The VHF antenna is a cylindrical paraboloid of dimension 40 x 120 meters, in four sections.
- He also discovered the remarkable fact that the parabolas described (in a vacuum) by indefinitely numerous projectiles discharged from the same point with equal velocities, but in all directions have a paraboloid of revolution for their envelope.