Papists sentence example
- Michel de l'HOpital, the chancellor, who opened the assembly, was an advocate of toleration; he deprecated the abusive use of the terms " Lutherans," " Papists " and " Huguenots," and advocated deferring all action until a council should have been called.
- Like the mass of the nation, he grew more Protestant as time wore on; he was readier to persecute Papists than Puritans; he had no love for ecclesiastical jurisdiction, and he warmly remonstrated with Whitgift over his persecuting Articles of 1583.
- He was always suspected of being a Roman Catholic, and invariably treated Jacobites and Papists better than Dissenters in the Athenae, but he died in communion with the Church of England.
- Donne is believed to have had a considerable share in writing the pamphlets against the papists which Morton issued between 1604 and 1607.
- and of the fanaticism of the papists in England.Advertisement
- In 1708 Swift declared that the Papists were politically as inconsiderable as the women and children.
- Church Papists - paperback A study of clerical reaction to the sizeable number of Catholics who outwardly conformed to Protestantism in late 16c England.
- papists known to the vicar and churchwardens?
- reputed papists in the diocese of St David's 1767.
- The indictment charged Northumberland with endeavoring to head the English papists and procure them toleration.Advertisement
- Many foreigners were accused, Dutch Protestants as well as French papists, showing there is nothing new about a culture of blame.
- papists estates.
- sequestrations of papists and Delinquents Estates, was this Day read the Third time.
- He writes: "In my tender yeares, and barneage in Sanct-Androis at the Schooles, having, on the one parte, contracted a loving familiaritie with a certaine Gentleman, &c. a Papist; And on the other part, being attentive to the sermons of that worthie man of God, Maister Christopher Goodman, teaching upon the Apocalyps, I was so mooved in admiration, against the blindnes of Papists, that could not most evidently see their seven hilled citie Rome, painted out there so lively by Saint John, as the mother of all spiritual whoredome, that not onely bursted I out in continual reasoning against my said familiar, but also from thenceforth, I determined with my selfe (by the assistance of Gods spirit) to employ my studie and diligence to search out the remanent mysteries of that holy Book: as to this houre (praised be the Lorde) I have bin doing at al such times as conveniently I might have occasion."
- An Ordinance for the further and better regulating the Sequestrations of Papists and Delinquents Estates, was this Day read the Third time.Advertisement
- When the Papists denied the use of the scripture in the vulgar tongue, oh !