Papists sentence example
- Michel de l'HOpital, the chancellor, who opened the assembly, was an advocate of toleration; he deprecated the abusive use of the terms " Lutherans," " Papists " and " Huguenots," and advocated deferring all action until a council should have been called.
- Like the mass of the nation, he grew more Protestant as time wore on; he was readier to persecute Papists than Puritans; he had no love for ecclesiastical jurisdiction, and he warmly remonstrated with Whitgift over his persecuting Articles of 1583.
- He was always suspected of being a Roman Catholic, and invariably treated Jacobites and Papists better than Dissenters in the Athenae, but he died in communion with the Church of England.
- Donne is believed to have had a considerable share in writing the pamphlets against the papists which Morton issued between 1604 and 1607.
- In 1708 Swift declared that the Papists were politically as inconsiderable as the women and children.Advertisement
- Church Papists - paperback A study of clerical reaction to the sizeable number of Catholics who outwardly conformed to Protestantism in late 16c England.
- The indictment charged Northumberland with endeavoring to head the English papists and procure them toleration.
- Many foreigners were accused, Dutch Protestants as well as French papists, showing there is nothing new about a culture of blame.
- An Ordinance for the further and better regulating the Sequestrations of Papists and Delinquents Estates, was this Day read the Third time.
- When the Papists denied the use of the scripture in the vulgar tongue, oh !Advertisement