Papilionaceous sentence example
- In the low brushwood scattered over portions of the dreary plains of the Kandahar table-lands, we find leguminous thorny plants of the papilionaceous sub-order, such as camel-thorn (Hedysarum Alhagi), Astragalus in several varieties, spiny rest-harrow (Ononis spinosa), the fibrous roots of which often serve as a tooth-brush; plants of the sub-order Mimosae, as the sensitive mimosa; a plant of the rue family, called by the natives lipdtd; the common wormwood; also certain orchids, and several species of Salsola.
- When the different members of each whorl are like in size and shape, the flower is said to be regular; while differences in the size and shape of the parts of a whorl make the flower irregular, as in the papilionaceous flower, represented in fig.
- - Diagram of a papilionaceous flower, showing vexillary aestivation.
- Such are Papilionaceous flowers, Violaceae, many Labiatae, Scrophulariaceae and others.
- In some cases, as in papilionaceous flowers, the stamens cohere, having been originally separate, but in most cases each bundle is produced by the branching of a single stamen.Advertisement
- - Flower of Pea (Pisum sativum), showing a papilionaceous corolla, with one petal superior (st) called the standard (vexillum), two inferior (car) called the keel (carina), and two lateral (a) called wings (alae).
- In his book on the fertilization of flowers, Hermann Muller distinguishes four types of papilionaceous flowers according to the way in which the pollen is applied to the bee: (I) Those in which the stamens and stigma return within the carina and thus admit of repeated visits, such are the clovers, Melilotus and laburnum.
- Showy erect-growing plants with papilionaceous.
- Of irregular polypetalous corollas the most marked is the papilionaceous (fig.
- papilionaceous flowers.Advertisement
- It frequently happens, especially in Papilionaceous flowers, that out of ten stamens nine are united by their filaments, while one (the postericr one) is free (fig.