Papal-bulls sentence example
- His constitution of the 1st of March 1519 condemned the king of Spain's claim to refuse the publication of papal bulls.
- touching benefices, tithes and papal bulls showed her determination to be supreme in her own territory.
- The papal bulls of confirmation were dated February and March 1 533, and the consecration took place on the 30th March.
- But though this defensive zeal led to active persecution, still in theory Judaism was a tolerated religion wherever the Church had sway, and many papal bulls of a friendly character were issued throughout the middle ages (Scherer, p. 32 seq.).
- The papal bulls granting the use of mitres before the nth century are all forgeries (Liturgische Gewandung, 431-448).Advertisement
- From this time onward papal bulls bestowing mitres, together with other episcopal insignia, on abbots become increasingly frequent.
- The cardinals did not trust themselves across the border; their messengers, however, were courteously received by Bruce, but with a firm refusal to admit the papal bulls into his kingdom because not addressed to him as king.
- The struggle, however, entered on a new phase with the appearance at Prague in May 141 2 of the papal emissary charged with the proclamation of the papal bulls by which a religious war was decreed against the excommunicated King Ladislaus of Naples, and indulgence was promised to all who should take part in it, on terms similar to those which had been enjoyed by the earlier crusaders to the Holy Land.
- A popular demonstration, in which the papal bulls had been paraded through the streets with circumstances of peculiar ignominy and finally burnt, led to intervention by Wenceslaus on behalf of public order; three young men, for having openly asserted the unlawfulness of the papal indulgence after silence had been enjoined, were sentenced to death (June 1412); the excommunication against Huss was renewed, and the interdict again laid on all places which should give him shelter - a measure which now began to be more strictly regarded by the clergy, so that in the following December Huss had no alternative but to yield to the express wish of the king by temporarily withdrawing from Prague.
- The secular courts took cognizance of ecclesiastical affairs whenever the law of the land was alleged to have been broken; and papal bulls were not allowed to be published without the leave of the state.Advertisement
- the formulary of the papal bulls began to crystallize, and the letters amassed in the papal offices were differentiated clearly into great and little bulls, according to their style, arrangement and signs of validation.
- By a new law, papal bulls could not be published without the consent of the crown, and the direct intercourse of the bishops with Rome was forbidden; the privileges of the religious orders were curtailed; and the education of the clergy was brought under state control.
- They were encouraged by papal bulls in their contest for the rights of property in wrecks and for the protection of shipping against pirates and slavehunters.
- One forbade papal bulls to be published in France without the consent of the crown.
- Both children were afterwards legitimized by papal bulls.Advertisement
- Other materials for the biography_are to be found in the incomplete Regesta edited by Joseph Cardinal Hergenrother (Freiburg-i-B., 1884 ff.); in the Turin collection of papal bulls (1859, &c.); in Il Diario di Leone X.