Panhellenic sentence example
- Long before the overthrow of Pisa the list of contests had been so enlarged as to invest the celebration with a Panhellenic character.
- Olympia entered on a new phase of brilliant and secure existence as a recognized Panhellenic institution.
- The great oracles, however, were of Panhellenic celebrity and did not serve each a particular state, and so in this direction also the risk of an independent priestly power within the state was avoided.'
- Without risking any revolt of Hellenic feeling, the new " captain-general " of Greece could erect a monument of his triumph in the very heart of the Panhellenic sanctuary.
- South of the Danube its chief political interest centred in the Kutzo-Vlach communities in Macedonia, which were the object of a Panhellenic propaganda most offensive to Rumanian nationalism.Advertisement
- The great purpose which he set before him was to revive the public spirit, to restore the political vigour, and to re-establish the Panhellenic influence of Athens, - never for her own advantage merely, but always in the interest of Greece.
- The Panhellenic alliance (from which Sparta still stood aloof) against the barbarians was renewed.
- Alexander could now accomplish the first part of the task belonging to him as captain-general to the Hellenes, that liberation of the Greek cities of Asia Minor, for which Panhellenic enthusiasts had cried out so long.
- The temple inventories recently discovered at Delos illustrate the great quantity of such possessions which were apt to accumulate at a shrine of Panhellenic celebrity.