Palmitic sentence example
- These discoveries of Geoffroy and Scheele formed the basis of Chevreul's researches by which he established the constitution of oils and the true nature of soap. In the article Oils it is pointed out that all fatty oils and fats are mixtures of glycerides, that is, of bodies related to the alcohol glycerin C 3H5(OH)3 i and some fatty acid such as palmitic acid (C 16 H 31 0 2)H.
- The so-called "stearin" of candles is a mixture of stearic and palmitic acids.
- Meyerdahl obtained 4% of palmitic acid, 20% of jecoleic acid, C19H3602, and 20% of therapic acid, C 17 H 28 O 2; other investigators have recognized jecoric acid, C 18 H 30 O 2, asellic acid, C17H3202, and physetoleic acid, C16Hn02, but some uncertainty attends these last three acids.
- In this field he contributed to our knowledge of the manufacture of iron and steel, sulphuric acid, glass and paper, and in particular worked at the saponification of fats with sulphuric acid and the utilization of palmitic acid for candle-making.
- It contains palmitic and several other fatty acids, among which there is one - ricinoleic acid - peculiar to itself.Advertisement
- By saponification it yields a number of fatty acids - palmitic, myristic, oleic, linolic, linolenic and isolinolenic. Exposed to the air in thin films, linseed oil absorbs oxygen and forms " linoxyn," a resinous semi-elastic, caoutchouclike mass, of uncertain composition.
- The oil composition is mostly represented by myristic and oleic acids, and to a lesser extent, palmitic and linoleic acids.
- Vitamin A synthesized mostly by the liver, is stored in the liver as an ester of palmitic acid (retinyl palmitate ).
- The socalled "stearin" of candles is a mixture of stearic and palmitic acids (see Candle).
- The plant is an ideal source of gamma linolenic acid (GLA), palmitic acid, stearic acid and oleic acid.Advertisement