Palisaded sentence example
- The Kalmucks and Circassians of the Kuban attacked it repeatedly in the r 7th century, so that it had to be fortified by a strong earthen and palisaded wall, traces of which are still visible.
- The Buriats offered some opposition, but between 1631 and 1641 the Cossacks erected several palisaded forts in their territory, and in 1648 the fort on the upper Uda beyond Lake Baikal.
- During the Seven Years' War a palisaded fort was erected on the south bank of the Mohawk at the ford where Utica later sprung up. It was named Fort Schuyler, in honour of Colonel Peter Schuyler, an uncle of General Philip Schuyler.
- Here they dwell in the "raths," old earth-forts, or earthen bases of later palisaded dwellings of the Norman period, and in the subterranean houses, common also in Scotland.
- It was begun in the second half of the 14th century, but was erected chiefly in the beginning of the 16th, on the site of the old palisaded fort, and has a wall 2300 yds.Advertisement
- Illprotected by its palisaded walls, it was plundered in 1377 and 1378 by the Tatars, supported by the Mordvinians.
- It consists of more than sixty separate dwellings, grouped within a triangular palisaded defence, formed in the midst of a marsh now partially reclaimed.
- There is a palisaded fort in the middle of the town, inside of which is the house of the fu -tu (governor).
- Ere long they grew so bold that they would stay ashore for months, braving the forces of a whole kingdom, and sheltering themselves in great palisaded camps on peninsulas or islands when the enemy pressed, them too hard.
- Formerly they found the capture of wild reindeer a profitable occupation, using for this purpose a palisaded avenue gradually narrowing towards a pitfall.Advertisement
- The structure may have consisted as a series of concentric timber circles, rather than a true palisaded enclosure.
- Here one has the appearance of tells, formalized ditched and palisaded enclosures and the beginnings of larger coastal middens.
- palisaded enclosure at Meldon Bridge, Peebles.